1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stern-Gerlach problems

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We're learning some basic quantum mechanics by studying the stern-gerlach experiment so some of my terminology might be a bit off as it might be particular to this book, I'm not sure.

Say we have +z atoms (magnetic moment in +z direction?) shot through a +x selector followed by a -z selector. I need to find the probability that the atoms pass through.

Should I get probabilities 1/2 * 0 = 0. So 0 percent make it out?

What happened to that latex guide on here btw? I don't know how to make bras or kets or up/down arrows.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the initial state of the system ? Then what happens to it afterwards ?

4. Oct 7, 2007 #3
    The initial state would be [tex]|\uparrow_z>[/tex]

Then there is an +x selection measurement so wouldn't 50% get filtered out?

Then the -z selector would block the 50% from the first measurement?

5. Oct 8, 2007 #4

clem

Science Advisor

No. After the x selector, the atoms are polarized in the x direction, but this means that half of those left will pass the z selector and be polarized in the z direction.
    QM spin works like that.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #5
    So 50% of the +z atoms would get selected in the +x selection and be polarized in +x. Then another 50% of those +x atoms will get slected in the -z selector? Which means 25% would make it through in total?

7. Oct 8, 2007 #6
    Can anyone verify this reasoning?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?