STL File Problem: Solving in MSC Marc

• Thread starter graba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with setting an imported STL file as a rigid body in MSC Marc, but is encountering difficulties as Marc does not recognize it as a surface file. They are wondering if converting the surface to NURBS could potentially resolve the issue, and are seeking advice from others experienced with working with STL files. They have also mentioned the importance of ensuring correct normals and manually editing points and lines if necessary.
graba
Hello guys,
I need help from you one more time. I have imported a STL file to marc and right now I have a problem. I would like to set this STL file as a rigid body but MSC Marc won't accept it as a surface (but it is a surface file). Do you have any clue how to solve it? Maybe this surface should be changed to NURBS?

Engineering news on Phys.org
i don't know about marc, but i often work with STL files. one thing to be sure about is that all the normals are facing the way you intend. then check the faces and vertices to check that it looks alright. you may need to manually edit these points/lines.

Likes 1 person

1. What is an STL file and why is it important for MSC Marc?

An STL file is a file format commonly used in 3D printing and computer-aided design (CAD) software. It represents a 3D model as a series of connected triangles, allowing for efficient storage and manipulation of complex shapes. In MSC Marc, STL files are used as input to define the geometry of a simulation, such as the shape of a component or structure.

2. What kind of problems can occur with STL files in MSC Marc?

Common problems with STL files in MSC Marc include issues with the geometry (such as gaps or overlaps between triangles), incorrect orientation of the triangles, and non-manifold geometry (where edges are shared by more than two triangles). These issues can lead to inaccurate or unstable simulations.

3. How can I check and repair STL files for use in MSC Marc?

There are several software programs and online tools available for checking and repairing STL files. These tools can automatically detect and fix common issues, such as gaps and non-manifold geometry. It is important to thoroughly check and repair STL files before using them in MSC Marc to ensure accurate and reliable simulations.

4. Are there any specific requirements for STL files in MSC Marc?

Yes, there are some requirements for STL files in MSC Marc. The file must be in ASCII format, with each triangle defined by 3 vertices and a normal vector. The units of measurement should also be consistent throughout the file. Additionally, the geometry should be watertight and free of self-intersections.

5. Can I use other file formats besides STL in MSC Marc?

Yes, MSC Marc supports other file formats such as IGES, STEP, and Parasolid. However, STL files are often preferred due to their simplicity and widespread use in the 3D printing and CAD industries. It is important to ensure that any alternate file formats used are compatible with MSC Marc and do not introduce any additional issues with the geometry.