Finding STO3G Parameters for H,He,C,N,O

• Thread starter aihaike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parameters
In summary, the conversation discusses the parameters for the STO3G basis set for H, He, C, N, and O. The speaker suggests checking the EMSL basis set exchange for the parameters, but also notes that the STO3G basis set may not be suitable for all calculations. The original speaker plans to use the basis set for a HF code.
aihaike
Dear all,

I need the parameters for the STO3G basis set H,He,C,N,O.
Where can I get them?
Thanks,

Eric.

Physics news on Phys.org
at EMSL basis set exchange: https://bse.pnl.gov/bse/portal

But note that STO-3G is /NOT/ a real basis set, it cannot be used for any calculations which aim to mimic real molecules in some way or another (in other words: it is very very very bad, even for a minimal basis set). So unless you require it to debug an integral program or to reproduce some numbers from other people I would advice you to use a different one.

Yeah, I'm aware about that.
I'm just want to write a little HF code.
Thanks for the reply.

okay, great :]. Good luck, this is a great excercise.

1. What are STO3G parameters?

STO3G parameters are a set of numerical values used in quantum chemical calculations to describe the electronic structure of atoms and molecules. These parameters are used to approximate the behavior of electrons within the system being studied.

2. How are STO3G parameters determined for H,He,C,N,O?

The STO3G parameters for H,He,C,N,O are determined through a combination of experimental data and theoretical calculations. Scientists use various methods, such as spectroscopy and computational modeling, to gather data on the electronic structure of these elements and then use this information to determine the appropriate STO3G parameters.

3. Why is it important to find accurate STO3G parameters for H,He,C,N,O?

It is important to find accurate STO3G parameters for H,He,C,N,O because these elements are essential building blocks of many molecules and materials. Understanding their electronic structure is crucial for predicting their properties and behavior, which is important in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and drug design.

4. Can STO3G parameters be used for other elements besides H,He,C,N,O?

Yes, STO3G parameters can be used for other elements besides H,He,C,N,O. However, they may not always provide accurate results for elements that have significantly different electronic structures. In these cases, different sets of parameters may need to be used.

5. How often are STO3G parameters updated or revised?

STO3G parameters are constantly being updated and revised as new experimental data and computational methods become available. This allows for more accurate and reliable calculations to be performed, leading to a better understanding of the electronic structure of atoms and molecules.