Stoke's Theorem for Line Integral: Calculating F*T ds on C

• Thread starter kasse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, To calculate the line integral F*T ds around C, we can use Stoke's theorem. First, we replace x^2+y^2 with 1 in the sphere equation to find that C lies in the plane z=3. Then, we need to find the normal unit vector, which can be found by taking the partial of the surface equation f(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2-10=0. The boundary curve is just a circle on the plane z=3, making it easy to integrate F around it directly. However, the gradient of x^2+y^2+z^2-10 is normal to the surface, but may not be a unit normal.
kasse
Task:

Calculate the line integral F*T ds around C where

F=(-xz-2y,x^2-yz,z^2+1) and

C is the boundary curve between the cylinder x^2+Y^2=1 and the top half of the sphere X^2+Y^2+z^2=10.

My work:

Surely I'm supposed to use Stoke's theorem here. First I replace x^2+y^2 with 1 in the sphere equation, to find that C lies in the plane z=3.

Then I need the normal unit vector. But how do I find that?

Is it simply the partial of the surface eq. f(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2-10=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't it just a circle on the plane z=3? Or am I missing something?

Are you really required to use Stoke's theorem? As Glass said, the boundary curve is just the circle x2+ y2= 1 with z= 3. It should be easy to integrate F around that boundary directly.

However, it is true that the gradient (which I presume is what you mean by "partial of surface") of x^2+y^2+z^2-10 is normal to that surface. It may not be a "unit" normal though.

1. What is Stoke's Theorem for Line Integral?

Stoke's Theorem for Line Integral is a mathematical theorem that relates the line integral of a vector field F along a curve C to the surface integral of the curl of F over the surface bounded by C. It is named after the mathematician George Gabriel Stokes.

2. How do you calculate F*T ds on C using Stoke's Theorem?

To calculate F*T ds on C using Stoke's Theorem, you first need to find the curl of the vector field F. Then, you need to find the surface bounded by the curve C and calculate the surface integral of the curl over that surface. Finally, you can equate this value to the line integral of F along C to obtain the desired value.

3. What is the significance of Stoke's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is significant because it provides a way to calculate line integrals using surface integrals, which can often be easier to evaluate. It also helps in understanding the relationship between the flow of a vector field and its curl.

4. Can Stoke's Theorem be applied to any vector field and curve?

Yes, Stoke's Theorem can be applied to any vector field and curve as long as the necessary conditions for the theorem are satisfied. These conditions include the curve being piecewise smooth and the vector field being continuous and differentiable.

5. How is Stoke's Theorem related to Green's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is a generalization of Green's Theorem, which relates line integrals to double integrals. Green's Theorem can be seen as a special case of Stoke's Theorem when the vector field is two-dimensional and the curve is a simple closed curve in the xy-plane.