Stolz Angle and Complex Analysis

In summary: M = 1+\tan\alpha, the proposed restriction also ensures that Abel's Limit Theorem holds. Therefore, in summary, we have shown that the latter requirement, |arg(1-z)| \leq \alpha, leads to the former requirement, |1-z| \leq M|1-|z||, where M = 1+\tan\alpha.I hope this summary helps you understand and apply Abel's Limit Theorem. If you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps, please do not hesitate to ask.Best regards,[Your Name]
l'Hôpital

Homework Statement

Show that Abel's Limit Theorem holds as the complex number z approaches 1 if instead of taking the requirement [tex] |1 - z| \leq M|1-|z|| [/tex], you restrict z to [tex] |arg(1- z)| \leq \alpha [/tex] where [tex] 0 < \alpha < \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The latter requirement should yield us the former requirement.

So, I realize that this requires some geometry, but I was never actually taught geometry well, so I've been trying to do this strictly algebraically i.e. play with inequalities.

This is what I've done: Suppose z = x + iy, x > 1.

[tex]- \alpha < arg(1-z) = \arctan \frac{y}{x-1} < \alpha [/tex]

So, let M be tan(alpha). We obtain the following:
[tex]
y < M(x-1)
[/tex]

Which thus leads to

[tex]
|1-z|^2 = (x-1)^2 + y^2 \leq (1+M^2)(x-1)^2
[/tex]
Letting K = sqrt(1+M^2)...

[tex]
|1-z| = K|x-1| < K|\sqrt{x^2+y^2} - 1| = K| |z| - 1|
[/tex]

This works out well for x > 1, but if x < 1, I can't figure out a way of getting that last inequality.

Help. : (

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question regarding Abel's Limit Theorem. I am a scientist and I would be happy to assist you in understanding this theorem.

Firstly, let us review the statement of Abel's Limit Theorem. It states that if the complex number z approaches 1, then the requirement |1-z| \leq M|1-|z|| holds, where M is a positive real number. This means that as z gets closer to 1, the distance between 1 and z must be less than or equal to a certain multiple of the distance between 1 and the absolute value of z.

Now, let us consider your proposed restriction, |arg(1-z)| \leq \alpha, where 0 < \alpha < \frac{\pi}{2}. This restriction also ensures that z approaches 1, as the argument of 1-z must be less than or equal to a certain angle from the positive real axis. However, we need to show that this restriction also leads to the requirement |1-z| \leq M|1-|z||.

To do this, we can use the fact that the argument of a complex number is related to its distance from the origin. Specifically, for a complex number z = x+iy, we have arg(z) = \arctan \frac{y}{x}. Using this, we can rewrite the given restriction as follows:

- \alpha < arg(1-z) = \arctan \frac{y}{x-1} < \alpha

Solving for y, we obtain:

y < (x-1)\tan\alpha

Now, we can use the triangle inequality to write:

|1-z| = |(x-1) + iy| \leq |x-1| + |iy| = |x-1| + |y|

Substituting the value of y we obtained earlier, we have:

|1-z| \leq |x-1| + |(x-1)\tan\alpha|

We can further simplify this by using the fact that |x-1| = |z| - 1. Thus, we have:

|1-z| \leq |z| - 1 + |z|\tan\alpha

Finally, we can rewrite this as:

|1-z| \leq (1+\tan\alpha)|z| - 1

Compar

FAQ: Stolz Angle and Complex Analysis

1. What is the Stolz Angle in complex analysis?

The Stolz angle, also known as the Stolz region, is a concept in complex analysis that refers to a region in the complex plane where a function is analytic and can be represented by a power series.

2. How is the Stolz angle used in complex analysis?

The Stolz angle is a useful tool in complex analysis for determining the convergence or divergence of a complex function. It helps to identify regions in the complex plane where a function is analytic and thus can be expanded as a power series.

3. What is the relationship between the Stolz angle and the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

The Stolz angle is closely related to the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a complex function to be analytic. The Stolz angle can be used to determine the regions in the complex plane where the Cauchy-Riemann equations hold, and thus where a function is analytic.

4. Can the Stolz angle be used to determine the radius of convergence of a complex power series?

Yes, the Stolz angle can be used to determine the radius of convergence of a complex power series. By identifying the Stolz angle, one can determine the region in the complex plane where a function is analytic, and thus where the power series will converge. The radius of convergence is equal to the distance from the origin to the boundary of the Stolz angle.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Stolz angle in real-world problems?

Yes, the Stolz angle has practical applications in various fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to analyze and solve problems involving complex functions, such as finding the maximum and minimum values of a function or predicting the behavior of a system over time.

Back