1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strain tensor on a Triangle

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Strain tensor E = [0.02 0 0; 0 0.01 0; 0 0 0.03] (no shear strains).

A triangle consists of points A, B, and C, each on axis X1, X2, and X3 respectively. The lengths OA = OB = OC, and D is the midpoint of AC. The direction cosines of AC are (1/sqrt(2), 0, -1/sqrt(2)) and those of BD are (-1/sqrt(6), sqrt(2)/sqrt(3),-1/sqrt(6)). Find:

A) The elongation of AC
    B) The change of initial right angle BDA

9a65va.jpg

2. Relevant equations

A^2 + B^2 = C^2 for right triangle

3. The attempt at a solution

Part A --

Drawing the triangle OAC (in the plane X1-X2), we see that the initial angles CAO and ACO are 45 degrees, while COA is a right angle. The deformation at point A is AO(0.02) while the deformation at point C is CO(0.03). Since AO=CO, we can write the change as:

A'C' - AC = sqrt( (1.02AO)^2 + (1.03AO)^2 ) - sqrt ( 2 AO^2 ) = 0.0354 AO

Part B --

Here I am a bit stuck. It seems to me that it should still be a right angle, but this is probably not true. I know I should have to use the direction cosines for BD. Any advice or hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2
    Ah, I had some insight. So the reason its not a right angle anymore is because C' is farther away from C than A' is from A. (The midpoint of AC has moved closer to C!) Still kinda lost about how to use this information though.

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3
    I have decided a game plan:

Try to solve cos(theta) = dot(B'D', A'C') / |B'D'|*|A'C'|

I have solved for |A'C'| already. I think I can solve for |B'D'| without much difficulty. Then I need to determine the direction cosines for B'D' and A'C'. Finally, plug in and solve.

Still fishing for help. I'm particularly confused about how to solve for the direction cosines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook