Strategies for kinematics of a four-body decay?

In summary, the conversation is about strategies for calculating the kinematics of a four-body decay and whether there are any new methods or guides available. The participants discuss using invariant masses and making changes of coordinates to deal with integrable divergences. One person asks if there are any guides similar to those used for controlling infrared and collinear divergences in loop integrals. The other person is unsure and apologizes for not being able to provide any information on the theoretical side.
Hepth
Gold Member
Does anyone have suggestions on the strategies for a four-body decay's kinematics? I'm just wondering what is out there. Last time I had to calculate something I just did it straightforward, but I know there must be other methods. (Like preferring to work in energies over invariants). I usually base it off of

preprint : http://ccdb5fs.kek.jp/cgi-bin/img/allpdf?198311072

But are there new strategies? Say for a four-lepton final state.

Thanks

edit: I should also add, that if you prefer analytic solutions there must be preferred methods. Numerically it probably doesn't matter due to the cuts being easy to implement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Strategies for what?

Experimentally, I think most analyses look at the invariant masses of 2 or sometimes 3 particles, especially if you expect resonances. There are 5 degrees of freedom in the decay, at least if we can ignore or do not know the initial spin of the decaying particle.

So assume a decaying pseudoscalar to 4 leptons (or neutrinos), and you want to calculate the partial width. I have calculated this before, and basically you get integrable divergences when you try to integrate (due to the denominator's energies) that can be removed by changes of coordinates of the invariants. This is seen in the preprint I posted, but the same paper is here if you have access http://journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.29.2027

On page 29, the replacements (3.6) are needed to be able to easily do the integral, this is because the denominator is divergent at the integration boundaries.

I guess I'm asking if there are any guides like the PDG's Kinematics, on different situations (2 massive, 2 massless; 4 massive; 4 massless; 2 resonances decaying; 0 resonances) etc. Each case has a scheme of invariants that are beneficial for the analytic integration, and problems that occur, mainly due to the boundaries.

When doing loop integrals there are a lot of guides for controlling your infrared and collinear divergences by looking at the matrices of coefficients of the feynman parameters, and doing certain situations differently. I was looking for something similar for kinematics.

Thank you.

No idea about the theoretical side, sorry.

Related to Strategies for kinematics of a four-body decay?

1. What is kinematics in physics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a four-body decay?

A four-body decay is a type of particle decay in which a single particle breaks down into four smaller particles.

3. What are the challenges in studying the kinematics of a four-body decay?

One of the main challenges in studying the kinematics of a four-body decay is that there are multiple particles involved, making it more complex to track their individual motions and energies. Additionally, the decay process may involve unknown or unobserved particles, making it difficult to fully understand the decay mechanism.

4. What are some strategies for analyzing the kinematics of a four-body decay?

Some strategies for analyzing the kinematics of a four-body decay include using conservation laws, such as energy and momentum conservation, to determine the energies and momenta of the decay products. Another strategy is to use computer simulations and statistical methods to reconstruct the decay process and extract relevant information.

5. How is the kinematics of a four-body decay relevant in particle physics research?

The study of four-body decays is important in particle physics research as it provides insights into the fundamental forces and interactions between particles. It also helps in testing the validity of current theories and in developing new theories to explain the behavior of subatomic particles.