Mech_Engineer said:
This sounds like a safety-significant application, what's your motivation for designing and building this yourself instead of just purchasing one?
Firstly I'm in India and all the good manufacturers are in the US. Second, the parts I need are cheap here and labour is cheaper still. We have good workmen here and it is easy to copy designs. If you look at the pic I posted, it's ridiculously simple to replicate it. But, I am confused by the sheer magnitude of designs available. They also vary in terms of safety and complexity. We have bolted ones and welded ones. Ones with 2x2 steel and 3x3 steel. 11 gauge thickness vs 7 gauge. I don't want to deliberately overdesign the thing. This isn't an airplane. So I want your valuable opinions on how to get a safe yet optimally designed structure.
Now let me explain a bit about how the thing works. Please refer to the attached photo and if possible, please pardon my abysmal attempt at labelling the picture.
The thick black line labelled Approximate bar is the actual weight which would be resting on the Hooks for racking. The hooks have cylindrical projections at the back which are slightly smaller than the holes through which they are secured. An athlete would stand inside the structure and position the hooks as per her convenience. The hooks give the barbell a starting position from which the bar may be loaded onto one's back or other suitable positions. After she is done, the weights are put back on the hooks. The pins labelled safety are for emergency situations wherein a lifter having failed to lift the weight could rest the weight on the pins and escape unharmed.
So the points of load are the two hooks secured into the holes and in some cases the two safeties. Another possible loading point would be the member labelled chin up bar from which a person would hang and pull herself up. Here are some more pics to show how the thing works (note these are different designs).
Power rack
http://www.menshealth.co.uk/cm/menshealthuk/images/9W/power-rack-build-muscle-05082011-medium_new.jpg
And here's an alternate and more secure version of the hooks for resting the weights on
J hook
You can clearly see how the hooks are secure.
Hope this clarifies my situation. Thanks.