Strength of Electric Field with a point charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
ltruiz45
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Problem:
A +11 nC charge is located at the origin.

Question:
What is the strength of the electric field at the position x,y (-5cm, 5cm) ?


I would think you would do this but when I try it I get the wrong answer

for x-axis - E=k|q|/r2
For y-axis - E=k|q|/r2

Then [itex]\sqrt{}Ex^2 + Ey^2[/itex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ltruiz45 said:
Problem:
A 11 charge is located at the origin.
What is "a 11 charge"?
Question:
What is the strength of the electric field at the position ?
At what position?

I would think you would do this but when I try it I get the wrong answer

for x-axis - E=k|q|/r2
For y-axis - E=k|q|/r2

Then [itex]\sqrt{}Ex^2 + Ey^2[/itex]