1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strength of electric field in fringe region vs. central region?

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For parallel electrodes, is the average electric field in the fringe region smaller or larger than in the central region?

2. Relevant equations

E = ΔV/ΔX

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the electric field strength is proportional to the density of the equipotential lines. Looking at various pictures of equipotential lines in parallel plates it looks as though the density is greater in the central region. However, the lines are curved in the fringe region which may affect the density in a way I'm not yet sure of.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Look at the way the lines are curved ... if drawn properly, the density of the electric field lines is prportional to the density of the electric field.

4. Feb 11, 2014 #3
    http://www.physicscurriculum.com/Photos/Electro3D04_small.jpg [Broken]

It looks to me like the density of the curved lines in the fringe region is less than that of the central region, which would make the electric field strength stronger in the central region, and weaker in the fringe region. Does this seem correct?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Feb 11, 2014 #4
    Not only does it seem correct. It is correct. Nice reasoning.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Feb 11, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well done!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted