1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stress Analysis - compound cylinders

1. May 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    problem attached

2. Relevant equations
    attached
    but lame equations i think they are?

3. The attempt at a solution
    attached

Hey
    this is an assignment question that i have wasted countless hours on trying to solve without success. The problem is WBVMMECH025 from the anasys 12 verification manual (problem is attached) i have completed the anysys analysis with correct results and now have to do hand calculations, im sure that the interface pressure is correct, im sure i am using the right formula to find tangential stresses due to interface pressure and that those answers are correct. I think it is after this where i try to find the tangetial stresses due to the applied internal pressure is where i am going wrong but cant figure out why. have attached a clean copy of my attempt and the excel formulas should be correct cause they match my hand calculations.

all help greatly appreciated

edit: files were too big for attachment so i hosted them externally

The problem
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/5/6/2850545/problem.doc" [Broken]

My attempt at the question:
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/5/6/2850545/my%20attempt.xls" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2010 #2
    alll good figured it out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook