Stress Analysis - compound cylinders

In summary, a student is struggling with an assignment problem (WBVMMECH025 from the anasys 12 verification manual). They have completed an AnySys analysis with correct results and are now attempting hand calculations. They are unsure of where they are going wrong and have provided a link to their attempt and the problem for reference. They later update saying they have figured it out.
jhmz

Homework Statement

problem attached

Homework Equations

attached
but lame equations i think they are?

The Attempt at a Solution

attached

Hey
this is an assignment question that i have wasted countless hours on trying to solve without success. The problem is WBVMMECH025 from the anasys 12 verification manual (problem is attached) i have completed the anysys analysis with correct results and now have to do hand calculations, I am sure that the interface pressure is correct, I am sure i am using the right formula to find tangential stresses due to interface pressure and that those answers are correct. I think it is after this where i try to find the tangetial stresses due to the applied internal pressure is where i am going wrong but can't figure out why. have attached a clean copy of my attempt and the excel formulas should be correct cause they match my hand calculations.

all help greatly appreciated

edit: files were too big for attachment so i hosted them externally

The problem
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/5/6/2850545/problem.doc"

My attempt at the question:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/5/6/2850545/my%20attempt.xls"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
alll good figured it out

1. What is stress analysis and why is it important in compound cylinders?

Stress analysis is the process of evaluating the effects of internal and external forces on a structure or material. In the case of compound cylinders, stress analysis is crucial for determining the structural integrity and performance of the cylinders under various loading conditions. This information is essential for designing safe and efficient compound cylinders.

2. What factors contribute to the stress in compound cylinders?

The stress in compound cylinders is influenced by several factors, including the material properties, geometry and dimensions of the cylinders, and the type of loading. Other factors such as temperature, corrosion, and manufacturing processes can also affect the stress in compound cylinders.

3. How is stress analysis performed on compound cylinders?

Stress analysis on compound cylinders is typically carried out using analytical methods, such as mathematical equations and formulas, or numerical methods, such as finite element analysis (FEA). These methods involve applying various principles of mechanics, such as stress and strain, to calculate the stress in the cylinders.

4. What are some common failure modes in compound cylinders due to stress?

The most common failure modes in compound cylinders due to stress include buckling, fatigue, and plastic deformation. Buckling occurs when the cylinders fail under compressive loads, while fatigue is caused by repeated loading and unloading cycles. Plastic deformation, on the other hand, results in permanent changes in the shape or dimensions of the cylinders.

5. How can stress analysis be used to improve the design of compound cylinders?

By performing stress analysis, engineers can identify potential areas of weakness in the design of compound cylinders and make necessary modifications to improve their performance. It can also help in selecting the right materials and dimensions for the cylinders to withstand the expected loading conditions and prevent failure.