Stress dtbn around Torqued hole in center of plate

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding a theoretical solution for a torqued hole in a flat plate or cube. The individual mentioned looking through several textbooks on stress mechanics but was unable to find the desired information. They then asked for recommendations on a book that covers topics such as bolted joints, torque, bolt load, tensile stress, thread shear stress, and determination of spring rates. The recommended book was "Applied Mechanics of Materials" by Joseph Edward Shigley.
kinari
Anybody have an idea where I can find a theoretical solution for a torqued hole in the center of a flat plate or cube? I have looked at 5-6 stress mechanics textbooks but no luck. I ask because I want to verify the results of my Solidworks and Inventor simulation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
Applied Mechanics of Materials BY Joseph Edward Shigley.

1. What is "Stress dtbn" and how does it relate to a torqued hole in the center of a plate?

"Stress dtbn" is a term used to describe the distribution of stress around a hole in a material. This type of stress is caused by external forces, such as torque, acting on the material. In the case of a torqued hole in the center of a plate, the stress dtbn would refer to the stress distribution around the hole due to the applied torque.

2. How does the size of the torqued hole affect the stress dtbn?

The size of the torqued hole can greatly affect the stress dtbn. As the size of the hole increases, the stress concentration around the hole also increases. This means that the stress dtbn will be higher for larger holes compared to smaller ones.

3. What factors can influence the stress dtbn around a torqued hole?

Several factors can influence the stress dtbn around a torqued hole, including the size and shape of the hole, the material properties of the plate, and the magnitude and direction of the applied torque. Other factors such as temperature, surface finish, and loading conditions can also play a role in the stress dtbn.

4. How can engineers mitigate the effects of stress dtbn in their designs?

Engineers can use various techniques to mitigate the effects of stress dtbn in their designs. This can include using fillets or chamfers around the hole to distribute the stress more evenly, adjusting the shape or orientation of the hole, or using different materials with higher strength properties. Finite element analysis can also be used to simulate and optimize the stress dtbn in a design.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to stress dtbn around torqued holes in plates?

Yes, there can be safety concerns related to stress dtbn around torqued holes in plates. If the stress concentration is too high, it can lead to material failure or cracking around the hole. This can compromise the structural integrity of the plate and potentially cause accidents or failures. Therefore, it is important for engineers to carefully consider and mitigate stress dtbn in their designs to ensure the safety and reliability of their structures.