Understanding Compressive Stresses in a Plate with a Hole Under Uniaxial Loading

• Thread starter kajalschopra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hole Plate
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of compressive stresses in a plate with a hole under uniaxial loading. The speaker suggests that these stresses are caused by Poisson's effect and are not considered "special." They also mention a mathematical proof and question if the physical sensation of these stresses can be understood. The conversation also mentions a figure and an equation that demonstrate how the distorted shape of the hole relates to the stress distribution around it.
kajalschopra
Is t right that, in a plate with a hole, subjected to uniaxial loading, along one of the axis, one gets compressive stresses around the crack tip (in the same direction as that of the applied load ). I'm not able to understand this intuitively. Can someone help?

I believe, intuitively, these compressive stresses (See sketch below) are due to Poisson's effect, although the magnitude might be greater because of the hole. There is 'nothing special' concerning the these compressive stresses as such.

plate_with_hole.gif

Any comments?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not entirely sure what you are asking ?

1) IF you look at the problem with a plate with a hole., around the hole you have a state of biaxial stress developed, see figure below. This can be proved mathematically if I look into the book by Timoshinko. But can't sense the biaxial stresses physically? Can you? How?

2) IT is not shown in the figure below, but adjacent to the hole some distance away, there will also be a compressive stress in horizontal direction, again , I can't sense it physically.

plate_with_hole_2.gif

Hole in infinite plate v5 v1.png
Hole in infinite plate v5 v1 v1 enlarged.png

Greatly magnified views of distortion of a thick plate with a hole . Uniform stress applied to top and bottom edge faces . The plate is not infinite but it is relatively big compared to hole diameter .

Can you see how the distorted shape of the hole relates to the stress distribution around the hole ?

No, I think you didn't get my question still.See figure below. I have given the expression for σθθ

If you put θ = 0, you get σθθ = - σxx

That is compressive stress . This is what I'm trying to sense physically

plate_with_hole_3.gif

Last edited:

1. What is the "Plate with a hole problem"?

The "Plate with a hole problem" is a classic engineering problem that involves calculating the stress and displacement of a plate with a circular hole under a uniform load.

2. What is the significance of the "Plate with a hole problem"?

The "Plate with a hole problem" is a common benchmark problem used to test the accuracy and efficiency of numerical methods and analytical solutions for stress analysis. It also has practical applications in designing structures such as aircrafts and pressure vessels.

3. How is the "Plate with a hole problem" solved?

The "Plate with a hole problem" can be solved using various methods such as analytical solutions, finite element analysis, and boundary element methods. The approach used depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What are the assumptions made in solving the "Plate with a hole problem"?

The assumptions made in solving the "Plate with a hole problem" include the plate being thin, the material being linearly elastic, and the load being applied uniformly. The hole is assumed to be circular and the plate is assumed to have a constant thickness.

5. What are the applications of the "Plate with a hole problem" in real-world engineering?

The "Plate with a hole problem" has many practical applications in engineering, such as designing aircraft structures, pressure vessels, and mechanical components. It can also be used in studying the behavior of materials under different loading conditions and designing more efficient structures.