String Theory: Questions on Realities Beyond Our World

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion on string theory and its validity, the possibility of a supernatural being or consciousness beyond our braneworld, the existence of more than 4 dimensions, and the idea of a creator or superior being. Some believe that string theory is promising but lacks evidence, while others question the need for a creator and the concept of an afterlife. The conversation also touches on the limitations of scientific theories and the role of faith.
fedorfan
Is string theory true? Is there some intelligent being or consciousness out there floating in space that is beyond our dimensional braneworld? Are braneworlds real? Are there more than 4 dimensions? Sorry for all the questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
No one knows. It's a theory.

Ask ten people and you'll get ten different answers as to how promsing it is. Be prepared for a lot of back and forth on this.

One answer:
While it has looked very promising, there is precious little hard evidence to support it, and it is beginning to lose some steam.

Well, not to mention that there are five different kinds of String theory there's no experimental evidence yet. We can only say that it 'looks pretty real and mathematically fittable'.

I don't see how there are more dimensions. I also don't believe there is a being beyond our braneworld. Do yall believe a supernatural consciousness is out there? Or are we not allowed to discuss that? I don't know but I can't really comprehend braneworlds and a supernatural being. I mean if there was something that created all this, wouldn't it/he/she/whatever make itself known? I just don't know.
thanks

fedorfan said:
I don't see how there are more dimensions. I also don't believe there is a being beyond our braneworld. Do yall believe a supernatural consciousness is out there? Or are we not allowed to discuss that? I don't know but I can't really comprehend braneworlds and a supernatural being. I mean if there was something that created all this, wouldn't it/he/she/whatever make itself known? I just don't know.
thanks

This reminds me of the medieval Spanish king known as Alfonso the Wise. When the scholars laid out Ptolemy's theory of epicycles (the best scientific theory of the world at the time) for him in all its complicated glory, he remarked that if he had been present at Creation he could have given God a few good tips on accomplishing things with minimal effort.

fedorfan said:
thanks

How did we go from branes to a supernatural being?:confused: :confused:

DaveC426913 said:
How did we go from branes to a supernatural being?:confused: :confused:

A supernatural being is one who has the same number of fermionic and bosonic degrees of freedom, that is well known.

arivero said:
A supernatural being is one who has the same number of fermionic and bosonic degrees of freedom, that is well known.
You jest. You forgot to add a :biggrin:

Well, seeing as how were not supposed to discuss g*d, I used that word, and I heard from some site that if there is a g*d, he's in a different braneworld, explaining why we can't see him. I find it very hard to believe that there is a g*d and even different braneworlds. Invisible seems pretty close to nonexistent to me.

Last edited:
fedorfan said:
thanks
I have often wondered about the various laws of conservation. The universe is running down as far as I understand. Heat Death I think it's called.

Thing is, whether the universe is the result of a Big Bang, or some other theory, the universe could not get itself to the state it was in at the moment of the Big Bang without some external force(s). To do so would be a perpetual motion scenario. Something outside of the "system" had to input Work to get this situation in the first place.

Since the universe is literaly all that exists, it is therefore the "system".

So, who/what wound up the spring so to speak? It would seem definitive that it must be something beyond the natural laws we know about, which defines supernatural.

Superior Being? As yet undiscovered principle of physics? Some unimagined dimension where the laws of thermodynamics do not hold?

'Tis quite a brain teaser, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, big time brain teaser. I still don't think there is a consciousness that somehow made all this. If it was powerful enough to make the universe, it should be powerful enough to make itself known. All that g*d stuff just doesn't add up. I seriously doubt there is a g*d, there is no evidence, no way to test it, nothing. I don't care about all the faith stuff. Like I said, invisible sure does look a lot like nonexistant. I guess I`ll find out when I die. Because heaven and hell sure don't sound very true either. Will I even find out when I die? What happens when you die, like do all your cells just shut down and that's just it, no ghost crap or anything of that nature?
thanks

How did we get on the subject of a supernatural creator? Yes it's out of order, even as a joke, so let's drop it. The OP question was whether string theory is "true", and the answer is that no physical theory is "true", the best they can ever hope to be is well supported by experiment. And string theory is not yet there.

The mathematical "fittabillity" is the only thing that separates it from being pseudoscience. However, this does not prove anything.

You can have N theories of the universe with great math involved, but if they don't represent our universe, they're just wishfull thinking.

I personally believe this is the case of String Theory.

What I don't like about ST is the hype that surrounds it, and how the media tries to undermine the results of well-established science in favour of new, bling-bling theories.

I am more than happy with string theory and (mem)brane theory. I believe it is the next step on the journey from Newton through Einstein, quantum mechanics to what is really the case. The 11 dimensions now available to us could easily support the supernatural phenomena although I am not expecting to find that phenomena in the equations.

syntacticus said:
I am more than happy with string theory and (mem)brane theory. I believe it is the next step on the journey from Newton through Einstein, quantum mechanics to what is really the case. The 11 dimensions now available to us could easily support the supernatural phenomena although I am not expecting to find that phenomena in the equations.

1) How does string theory make you happy? Do you have any concrete ideas for it to solve many of the outstanding problems in theoretical physics?

2) You "belief" it is the next step? What does believe have to do with it?

3) Supernatural phenomena are, by definition, not part of our physical reality. Hence they can not be observed. Discussion of such things is the realm of theology or philosophy. Not physics.

4) If you don't expect to find them in the equations, then where would that explanation be? :rolleyes:

String theory is good proposal for a theory of QG, maybe even a TOE. That's it. Please don't trust any esotheric mumbo-jumbo on it. We have Lenny Susskind for that.

Yeah, physics theories aren't rated on how happy they make you feel, but on the prediction power of the results that come out of repeatable experients.

Liking it, not liking it, or whether it sounds good or not has nothing to do with it. Just because it might be "elegant", or "sounds good" doesn't mean it's also true.

Related to String Theory: Questions on Realities Beyond Our World

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile Einstein's theory of general relativity with quantum mechanics. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are tiny, vibrating strings rather than point-like particles.

2. How does string theory explain the existence of multiple dimensions?

According to string theory, the vibrations of strings occur in 10 or 11 dimensions, rather than just the four dimensions (three spatial and one temporal) that we experience in our everyday lives. These extra dimensions are compactified, meaning they are curled up and too small for us to detect directly.

3. Is string theory testable?

Currently, string theory is not testable in the traditional sense, as it makes predictions at energy levels far beyond what we can currently observe or recreate in experiments. However, scientists are working on ways to potentially test certain aspects of string theory, such as the existence of extra dimensions, through indirect observations and experimental data.

4. Does string theory have any practical applications?

While string theory is primarily a theoretical framework, it has led to advancements in other areas of physics, such as black hole thermodynamics and the holographic principle. It also has potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and high-energy physics.

5. Are there any criticisms or controversies surrounding string theory?

Yes, there are several criticisms and controversies surrounding string theory. Some scientists argue that it is too abstract and lacks experimental evidence, while others believe it is a promising approach to understanding the fundamental laws of the universe. Additionally, there are debates about whether string theory is the only possible theory of quantum gravity or if there are other viable alternatives.