Uncovering the Predictive Power of String Theory

In summary, string theory is a theoretical framework that aims to unify all the fundamental forces and particles of nature into a single coherent theory. However, it has yet to make any valid predictions and is often criticized for its bizarre concepts, such as time in black holes. String theorists focus on these problems because existing theories do not give valid predictions for them. While string theory should eventually explain all aspects of physics, it is not the goal of string theorists to re-work all of the minutiae of known physics. They are interested in showing how string theory can reduce to existing theories under certain conditions.
derekmohammed
Does string theory give any valid predictions? For example could string theory dictate the motion of the planets, or the weather, or gravitatoinal effects or just really anything that is useful. All I ever hear about it string theory showing bizarre things like time in black holes and what not. What are scientists not trying to make valid predictions?

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
But we already know how to predict the motion of the planets, don't we? String theorists work on the problems that they do because those are precisely the problems for which existing theories don't give valid predictions.

Well I mean if string theory is absolutly correct should it not give reasonable explanations for science that is already considered correct? Should that not be a goal too?

It is a goal, but that is not to say that string theorists are interested in re-working out all of the minutiae of known physics, nor should they be. They are interested in showing how string theory reduces to GR, QFT, etc..., under the appropriate conditions.

If you are interested, read the string theory (part one two and three) intro that i wrote for my journal. Make sure you scrool down to part one first which is on the bottom of the page...enjoy and feel free to ask more questions

https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&action=view&journalid=13790&perpage=10&page=8

regards
marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you consider the aspects of string theory there is a whole lot to change if such a theory exsists. Quantum physics explains how smaller particles "work and function" relative to their environment while saying that everything is made up of strings ( i know its more detailed then that ) is really bizzare. Since quantum physics was before the string theory it is hard to change what a lot of Physicists think. So to get to your point I agree that string theorists should use more of their time actualy explaining how everything works.

I also would like to say that if the theory is right then if should explain a lot of scientific topics such as every specific type of physics, astrology, cosmology,and biology and chemistry.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to explain the fundamental building blocks of the universe by describing them as tiny, one-dimensional strings rather than point-like particles. It is considered a potential candidate for a theory of everything, as it aims to unify all the known forces and particles in the universe.

2. Why is string theory important?

String theory is important because it offers a potential explanation for the fundamental laws of nature and could potentially reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It also has the potential to answer questions about the origins and structure of the universe.

3. How does string theory make predictions?

String theory makes predictions by using mathematical equations and calculations to describe the behavior and interactions of the tiny strings that make up the universe. These predictions can then be tested through experiments and observations.

4. What evidence supports string theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence that supports string theory. However, some mathematical equations and calculations have been successful in predicting certain phenomena, such as the existence of gravitons, which are particles that carry the force of gravity. Additionally, some aspects of string theory have been observed in other branches of physics, such as black holes and certain properties of particles.

5. What are some challenges of string theory?

One of the main challenges of string theory is that it is a highly complex and mathematical theory, making it difficult to test experimentally. Additionally, there is currently no way to confirm or rule out the existence of the extra dimensions that are proposed in string theory. There is also ongoing debate and criticism within the scientific community about the validity and usefulness of string theory.