Strong magnet and was standing in metal shoes

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of levitating oneself using a strong magnet and metal shoes welded to a metal trashcan lid. There is disagreement on the feasibility of this concept, with some mentioning the need to study classical mechanics and others suggesting alternative setups. However, it is generally agreed that levitation with a strong magnet is possible, as demonstrated by examples such as maglev trains and giant magnets used in salvage yards.
Slimjimjohnso
If I had a strong magnet and was standing in metal shoes that were welded to a metal trashcan lid, could I levitate myself with said magnet?

Physics news on Phys.org

rofl no.

Holding the magnet will pull you down just as hard as the trashcan is pulling you up. Study classical mechanics, more specifically Newton's third law.

If you had a really strong B field you could levitate your body , Because water is pretty diamagnetic.

This shows a frog being levitated

Last edited by a moderator:

Curl said:
rofl no.

Holding the magnet will pull you down just as hard as the trashcan is pulling you up. Study classical mechanics, more specifically Newton's third law.

I think the OP means levitating above the magnet...

i have no idea what the set up is he's trying to describe but I'm pretty sure it won't work.

well yes and no if u had had a strong enough magnetic force ( magnet, eletromagnet, etc) and calculated you total wieght ( lol levitational apparattus inculded) and the magnetic force was immoble and account for the force to get you to the desired levitational height ( and you could some how balence your on your lids good luck ) yes it is possible but i wouldn't try it sounds dangerous the way u descirbe but its the same theory with maglev trains

Mount the magnet above you on the roof, climb into your iron shoes, and yes you could levitate--upside down and with a clang as your trash can hits the magnet. Salvage yards pick up scrap metal with giant magnets mounted on cranes.

I once crawled into a very large magnet (old cyclotron magnet, vertical gap ~80 cm, poletip diameter ~ 4 m, field 1.5 Tesla), and my steel-tip safety shoes stuck to the lower pole piece. I was immobilized until I took the shoes off.

Bob S

What is a strong magnet?

A strong magnet is a type of magnet that has a high magnetic field strength and can attract or repel other magnets or magnetic materials with more force than a weaker magnet.

How does a strong magnet work?

A strong magnet works by creating a magnetic field that extends from its poles. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic fields of other magnets or magnetic materials, causing them to be attracted or repelled.

What are metal shoes?

Metal shoes are shoes that are made primarily of metal materials, such as steel, aluminum, or iron. They are often used in industrial or construction settings for their durability and protective properties.

Why does a strong magnet attract metal shoes?

A strong magnet can attract metal shoes because the metal materials in the shoes are made up of atoms with magnetic properties. When a magnet is brought near the shoes, the magnetic field of the magnet interacts with the magnetic domains in the metal, causing them to align and be attracted to the magnet.

What happens if you stand in metal shoes while holding a strong magnet?

If you stand in metal shoes while holding a strong magnet, the magnetic field of the magnet will interact with the magnetic properties of the metal shoes. This can cause the shoes to be pulled towards the magnet or to have a magnetic force exerted on them, depending on the strength and orientation of the magnet.