What is the Best Way to Repair and Strengthen a River Boat Structure?

In summary, the conversation is about repairing and augmenting the structure of a river boat using 6063 aluminum sq tube. The boat had previously removed welded on chines and replaced the bottom with 3/8" UHMW. However, the area behind the seat has bowed upwards and caused issues with planing. The proposed solution is to weld 1.25"x1.25" strong-backs across the ribs and add 5 additional tubes lengthwise between the transom and seat back. Another option is to use 2"x2" box tube for longitudinal support. The boat is in a rough environment and the proposed fix may extend its lifespan. The conversation also requests for a diagram and clarification on some terms used.
Bruce Covey
Am considering the use of 6063 aluminum sq tube to repair/augment the structure of my river boat. Approx 3 yrs ago, I removed the 5 welded on chines that ran the length of the bottom of the boat ( they were mostly crushed & lost their strength ) and covered the bottom with 3/8" UHMW. This has worked very well in order to slowly slip over rocks and to disperse impacts, but the 7' area behind my seat back to the transom has bowed upward ( bending the ribs ) and caused the craft to plane incorrectly. I bent everything back into shape using a bottle jack, post, & the beam in my garage, but I believe the ribs are now fatigued. See attached picture. I'm considering the use of 1.25"x1.25" (1/8") strong-backs welded across the ribs AND to weld 5 additional tubes ( same size ) lengthwise between the transom and seat back across the ribs. Does this seem like a reasonable approach w/ the correct material? I think the lack of longitudinal support across the ribs ( removed chines ) caused a good bit of the problem. Other option is to leave the ribs as they are, and just use longitudinal support w/ 2"x2" box tube. Opinions? You'll notice the rear ribs are interrupted by the jet tunnel. I'm in a rough environment that is beyond the design of this boat ( Lowe 1655TN ), but this fix might get me a few more years if I can miss the big rocks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1655TN.jpg
    1655TN.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 387
Engineering news on Phys.org
Would you be able to post a dimensioned diagram of the original design and the proposed new design, and define the lingo?

1. What is structural advice for a boat?

Structural advice for a boat involves the design and construction of the boat's framework, hull, and other components to ensure it is strong, stable, and able to withstand the stresses of being on the water.

2. How do I know if my boat needs structural advice?

If your boat is experiencing issues such as cracks, leaks, or instability, it may be a sign that it needs structural advice. It is also important to regularly inspect your boat for any signs of wear and tear and address any issues promptly.

3. Can I do the structural work on my boat myself?

In most cases, it is recommended to seek the help of a professional for structural advice and repairs on your boat. They have the knowledge, skills, and proper tools to ensure the work is done correctly and safely.

4. How much does structural advice for a boat cost?

The cost of structural advice for a boat can vary greatly depending on the specific needs of the boat and the extent of the work required. It is best to consult with a professional for an accurate estimate.

5. Is structural advice important for all types of boats?

Yes, structural advice is important for all types of boats, regardless of size or type. Proper structural design and maintenance is crucial for the safety and longevity of any boat.