Structural Mechanics Distinction Task

In summary, to find the axial load on a column, we can use the equation (200kN/m X 6 = 1200kN / 2 = 600kN + self weight of 6kN = 606kN). To find the axial load in the vertical direction, we can multiply this value by the cosine of the force and in the horizontal direction, we can multiply it by the sine of the force. When justifying a chosen material, it is important to consider its strength properties and ensure that it has a good safety factor in excess of the required calculations. However, safety factors are not typically applied to structural analysis calculations.
Terra_Bitz
Homework Statement
Hi,

I'm stuck on answering the attached question, I know how to find the axial within the column however I do know what the question means by justifying a chosen material, help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Alfie
Relevant Equations
The way how I found out calculate axial load is here: https://www.hunker.com/13400857/how-to-calculate-the-axial-load
To find axial load , 5m / 6m = 0.83
Arc tangent , tan-1(0.83) = 39.69
Cosine of the force , Cos(39.69) = 0.77
Sine of the force , Sin(39.69) = 0.64
Axial load in the vertical direction , (200kN/m X 6 = 1200kN / 2 = 600kN + self weight of 6kN = 606kN) So 606kN X 0.77 = 466.62kN
Axial load in the horizontal direction , (200kN/m X 6 = 1200kN / 2 = 600kN + self weight of 6kN = 606kN) So 606kN X 0.64 = 387.84kN

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Terra_Bitz said:
I do know what the question means by justifying a chosen material
Well, do you think that balsawood, for example, or perhaps styrofoam, would be good materials to use? Why or why not?

phinds said:
Well, do you think that balsawood, for example, or perhaps styrofoam, would be good materials to use? Why or why not?

Ah right, so essentially choose a suitable material, such as steel or RC, and talk about its pro's and cons.

I was confused when it say's 'justify' I wasn't sure as to whether it was asking me to choose a material then design a section.

Thank you Phinds

Terra_Bitz said:
Ah right, so essentially choose a suitable material, such as steel or RC, and talk about its pro's and cons.

I was confused when it say's 'justify' I wasn't sure as to whether it was asking me to choose a material then design a section.

Thank you Phinds
yes, but I think "justify" is perhaps a bit more firm than you are taking it to be. I would say it's not just choosing and discussing a material, it's specifically showing that it has strength properties that are at has a good safety factor in excess of what your calculations show is needed. I realize you may have already had that in mind without specifically saying so.

phinds said:
yes, but I think "justify" is perhaps a bit more firm than you are taking it to be. I would say it's not just choosing and discussing a material, it's specifically showing that it has strength properties that are at least a good safety factor in excess of what your calculations show is needed. I realize you may have already had that in mind without specifically saying so.

Apologies but I'm not sure I follow, I've researched what the safety factor is for structural steelwork in building, being 4-6 ( https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/factors-safety-fos-d_1624.html ), however how do I apply this to my previous calculations?

Terra_Bitz said:
how do I apply this to my previous calculations?
No idea. Maybe someone else here will chime in.

I'm not sure why you are calculating the angle: arctan(5/6) ??
The axial load on the column is just 606 kN, and there are no lateral forces on the column.

Safety factors are used when it comes to material design. I don't think the purpose of this problem is to design a section. You don't apply safety factors to structural analysis

1. What is the purpose of a Structural Mechanics Distinction Task?

The purpose of a Structural Mechanics Distinction Task is to assess a scientist's understanding and application of structural mechanics principles and techniques. It is often used as a part of a larger evaluation process for researchers or engineers in the field of structural mechanics.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Structural Mechanics Distinction Task?

The specific topics covered in a Structural Mechanics Distinction Task can vary, but they generally include concepts such as stress and strain, material properties, structural analysis and design, and failure analysis. It may also include questions related to specific types of structures, such as beams, columns, or trusses.

3. How is a Structural Mechanics Distinction Task different from other assessments in the field?

A Structural Mechanics Distinction Task is typically more in-depth and comprehensive than other assessments, as it is designed to evaluate a scientist's mastery of structural mechanics principles and techniques. It may also require the application of these concepts to real-world scenarios or problems.

4. How can I prepare for a Structural Mechanics Distinction Task?

To prepare for a Structural Mechanics Distinction Task, it is important to review and understand the fundamental principles and equations of structural mechanics. It may also be helpful to practice solving problems and applying these principles to different scenarios. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with common failure modes and their causes can also be beneficial.

5. Is a Structural Mechanics Distinction Task a pass or fail assessment?

A Structural Mechanics Distinction Task is typically not a pass or fail assessment, but rather a measure of a scientist's proficiency in the field. The results may be used to determine areas of strength and weakness and inform future training or development opportunities, but it is not a determining factor in one's overall success in the field.