Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Struggling to show that this series converges.

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    Hi there,
    I'm trying to show that [tex]\sum\frac{log(r)}{r^{a}}[/tex] (r going from 1 to infinity) converges using the ratio test, but I can't seem to deal with the log(r+1)/log(r) term.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2
    Is it not sufficient to note that r^a/(r+1)^a is a null sequence, so anything it is multiplied by will also be a null sequence? (null x bounded = null...etc).

4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    i would use this (it is supposed that your series goes from n=1 to infinite

integral criteria , if the integral [tex] \int _{1}^{\infty} dx log(x)x^{-a} [/tex] converges so does your series

on the other hand an useful trick is to use the expansion of log (r+1) for big r

log(r+1)=log(r)+log(1+1/r) and since 1/r is small you can expand it into a/r+b/r*r and so on

5. Apr 17, 2009 #4
    It depends on your value of a. If a is negative, the series diverges. If 0<= a <= 1 then for r >=3 we have [tex] \frac{1}{r^a} < \frac{ln(r)}{r^a} [/tex] and so [tex] \sum\frac{1}{r^{a}} < \sum\frac{ln(r)}{r^{a}} [/tex]. The left side of the inequality diverges (because 0<= a <= 1) and so the series on the right side diverges.

I haven't thought about a > 1 yet. I'll get back to that when I get back home.

6. Apr 17, 2009 #5
    I should have mentioned, I was considering a>1. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook