Struggling with Physics: Helping a Second Year Major Succeed

In summary, the speaker is a second year physics major who is currently taking classical mechanics and struggled in their first year of introductory physics. They have a study method of attending lectures, re-reading notes, understanding derivations, reading the book, and practicing problems. However, this method does not always work and they are frustrated with their slower understanding of the material compared to others. They have a 2.65 GPA and are worried about their future in physics and potential job opportunities. Despite this, they want to continue studying physics because they enjoy the challenge and its applications in real life.
cosmicjelly
I am currently a second year majoring in physics. I am currently taking classical mechanics. I took introductory physics in my first year. In my first year, I did decently well, but I felt like I wasn't understanding the material.
My study method for my second year is to go to lecture, pay attention to the professor, go back home re-read the lecture notes, understand the derivations and read the book, and practice problems. After I have done all of that, I would try to explain it to my roommate as if I am teaching the material. Usually, this process takes about 6 hours on weekends, weekdays about 1 to 2 hours. However, this process can only take me so far. It works sometimes, but other times it doesn't. I am a bit frustrated at myself because, I can't understand the material as fast as others, it takes me a few days to understand it. I can do the math, which is kinda the easy part for me, but applying it to physics problems is the challenge. Previous math courses I have taken are: Calculus, differential equations, multivariable calc, linear algebra(currently taking).
I am currently standing on a 2.65 gpa, with this I will be going nowhere, heck not even graduate school. I have tried doing Feynman note-taking technique, it kinda works but it takes way too much time. What I want to do with my physics degree is help with research in astrophysics. I know its vague, but at this point, I don't even know if I will qualify for any job.

At this point I don't know what to do. I want to stay in physics because I love how difficult it is and how it can be applied to real life situations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Miriam Gonzalez said:
I am currently a second year majoring in physics. I am currently taking classical mechanics. I took introductory physics in my first year. In my first year, I did decently well, but I felt like I wasn't understanding the material.
My study method for my second year is to go to lecture, pay attention to the professor, go back home re-read the lecture notes, understand the derivations and read the book, and practice problems. After I have done all of that, I would try to explain it to my roommate as if I am teaching the material. Usually, this process takes about 6 hours on weekends, weekdays about 1 to 2 hours. However, this process can only take me so far. It works sometimes, but other times it doesn't. I am a bit frustrated at myself because, I can't understand the material as fast as others, it takes me a few days to understand it. I can do the math, which is kinda the easy part for me, but applying it to physics problems is the challenge. Previous math courses I have taken are: Calculus, differential equations, multivariable calc, linear algebra(currently taking).
I am currently standing on a 2.65 gpa, with this I will be going nowhere, heck not even graduate school. I have tried doing Feynman note-taking technique, it kinda works but it takes way too much time. What I want to do with my physics degree is help with research in astrophysics. I know its vague, but at this point, I don't even know if I will qualify for any job.

At this point I don't know what to do. I want to stay in physics because I love how difficult it is and how it can be applied to real life situations.

There are a few things that I don't quite understand here.

First of all, you stated that you are in your 2nd year and have GPA of 2.65. Unless you have a different set of curriculum than most students, you have taken mostly math classes, and intro general physics courses, along with electives. Is this correct?

If it is, then IF you state that you have taken all those math courses and presumably, you "can do the math" (meaning you got good grades in your math courses), how did you end up with such a poor GPA? Were you getting F's in your general physics classes that somehow pulled down your average THAT much?

Besides, if you are in your 2nd year, would have only done your general physics courses and have not delve too deeply into the more advanced topics too much. So did you crash that badly in all of your general physics classes?

In other words, I'm trying to understand how you can end up with such a GPA this early in your undergraduate program IF your ONLY problem is with your physics classes.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
There are a few things that I don't quite understand here.

First of all, you stated that you are in your 2nd year and have GPA of 2.65. Unless you have a different set of curriculum than most students, you have taken mostly math classes, and intro general physics courses, along with electives. Is this correct?

If it is, then IF you state that you have taken all those math courses and presumably, you "can do the math" (meaning you got good grades in your math courses), how did you end up with such a poor GPA? Were you getting F's in your general physics classes that somehow pulled down your average THAT much?

Besides, if you are in your 2nd year, would have only done your general physics courses and have not delve too deeply into the more advanced topics too much. So did you crash that badly in all of your general physics classes?

In other words, I'm trying to understand how you can end up with such a GPA this early in your undergraduate program IF your ONLY problem is with your physics classes.

Zz.

For my first year up to second year,
pre-calc(B) and history(B+) (Took during summer)
English(C) First-year calc(B-) Intro-PHYS(B+)
English(B+) Calc(B-) Intro-PHYS(B-)
Calc(D) Diff-EQ(C) Intro-PHYS(C) (This is when things go downhill, I will be retaking the calc class later)
Art(B+) Comp-SCI(B) Multi-Calc(B) (Took during summer)

Second year
Chem/LAB(B-, C+) Multi-Calc(B-) Classical(C+)

cosmicjelly said:
For my first year up to second year,
pre-calc(B) and history(B+) (Took during summer)
English(C) First-year calc(B-) Intro-PHYS(B+)
English(B+) Calc(B-) Intro-PHYS(B-)
Calc(D) Diff-EQ(C) Intro-PHYS(C) (This is when things go downhill, I will be retaking the calc class later)
Art(B+) Comp-SCI(B) Multi-Calc(B) (Took during summer)

Second year
Chem/LAB(B-, C+) Multi-Calc(B-) Classical(C+)

Based on what you have given me here, I will say that it isn't just physics that you have a problem with.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Based on what you have given me here, I will say that it isn't just physics that you have a problem with.

Zz.
Math, Chem and English, as well?

1. How can I help a second year major struggling with physics?

There are several ways you can help a second year major struggling with physics. First, you can offer to study together and go over difficult concepts or problem sets. You can also suggest resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups. Additionally, encourage them to seek help from their professor or a tutor if needed.

2. What are some common challenges for second year physics majors?

Some common challenges for second year physics majors include the transition from introductory to more advanced courses, the heavy workload and time commitment, and the abstract and complex nature of physics concepts. They may also struggle with specific topics such as electromagnetism or quantum mechanics.

3. How important is math in succeeding in physics?

Math is crucial for success in physics. Many physics concepts are described using mathematical equations and understanding these equations is essential for solving problems and understanding the underlying principles. It is important for second year physics majors to have a strong foundation in math and continue to practice and improve their math skills.

4. What study strategies can help a second year major struggling with physics?

Some effective study strategies for a second year major struggling with physics include practicing problems regularly, attending lectures and taking thorough notes, seeking help when needed, and breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to form study groups or use online resources such as videos or practice quizzes.

5. How can I support a second year major who is feeling discouraged in their physics studies?

It is important to offer emotional support to a second year major who is feeling discouraged in their physics studies. Remind them that it is normal to struggle and that progress takes time. Encourage them to take breaks and engage in activities they enjoy outside of their studies. You can also offer to listen and provide a positive and understanding perspective.