Which Major to Choose: Mechanical Engineering or Physics?

In summary, the speaker is a second year community college student who is struggling to choose between majoring in engineering or physics. They are interested in both subjects, but are worried about the transferability of classes and the amount of math used in engineering. They are also concerned about the job prospects and the amount of physics credits required for their desired transfer school. They enjoy solving complex problems and are drawn to topics such as electromagnetism and modern physics. Ultimately, they are torn between their love for math and their desire to combine it with a science major for a more well-rounded education.
zachdr1
So I'm a second year community college student, I only have a few days left to pick my classes for the fall, and I have no idea which one I want to major in.

I guess the one MAJOR plus to doing engineering is that my community college offers an associates in mechanical engineer, but not in physics. I could get that before I transfer, but a lot of the classes I would have to take might not transfer to the schools I'm thinking about transferring to (aside from the engineering and math classes, so like some of the social sciences and humanities)

I feel like I like engineering and physics equally, I've taken 3 engineering classes and 2 physics classes and I really can't decide which one I want to major in.

I'm taking statics as well as physics 2 right now and they're both pretty interesting. I flip between which class is my favorite depending on what we study.

In statics I like summing all of the moments and pretty much using logic and a bit of math to solve very complex problems. I think electromagnetism in physics was the coolest thing I've ever studied. Modern Physics and astrophysics seem to be what draws my attention to physics the most, but I haven't even taken any classes that relate to those topics.

Things I don't really care for about statics are when you get into centroids and the physics behind screws. In physics I don't really care to learn about mechanical waves, and optics are cool but the problems aren't really fun to solve like certain statics problems are.

I really love math, especially calculus. I'm also a math tutor at my college and I've taken all the math classes up to calc 3. While I really like math, I can't JUST do math, that bores me. I feel like I want to include it with a science such as physics or engineering. One of the things that worries me is that engineers don't use that much math in the real world. I think things like line integrals and triple integrals are awesome and it would suck to learn them and then never use them again

Obviously, the other thing that is drawing me towards engineering is that all I need is a BS and I can get a pretty good job. With physics I would have to go to grad school, which isn't a big deal but it's a bigger commitment.

One other main thing that pushes me away from physics is the school I would want to transfer to would kinda screw me over and have me take like 65 physics credits in 4 semesters. With engineering I would have some humanities to balance it out.

I really can't decide on what I want to do, I love physics and math but engineering is pretty cool too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Studying for a bachelor's degree in either would require similar set of courses for about the first two years. Engineering degree would make entry into the more numerous engineering jobs compared to "physics/physicist" jobs.

Related to Which Major to Choose: Mechanical Engineering or Physics?

1. What is the difference between Mechanical Engineering and Physics?

Mechanical Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and construction of mechanical systems. Physics, on the other hand, is a branch of science that studies the fundamental laws and principles governing the behavior of matter and energy. While both fields involve the study of physical phenomena, Mechanical Engineering focuses more on the practical application of these principles, while Physics delves deeper into understanding the underlying theories and concepts.

2. Which field has better job prospects, MechE or Physics?

Both Mechanical Engineering and Physics have promising job prospects, with many opportunities in various industries such as manufacturing, energy, aerospace, and research. However, Mechanical Engineering may have a slight advantage due to its more specialized and practical nature, making it more in-demand for specific job roles.

3. Can I study both MechE and Physics?

It is possible to study both MechE and Physics, but it may require a significant amount of time and effort. Some universities offer a combined program in which students can earn a degree in both fields simultaneously, while others may allow students to pursue a double major or minor in Physics alongside their MechE degree. It is important to carefully consider your goals and academic workload before deciding to pursue both fields of study.

4. What skills are needed for a career in MechE and Physics?

For a career in Mechanical Engineering, proficiency in math and science is crucial, as well as strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Additionally, knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and programming languages may be beneficial. In Physics, a strong foundation in math and physics is essential, along with critical thinking and research skills. Both fields also require good communication and teamwork abilities.

5. How can I decide between MechE and Physics as a major?

The best way to decide between MechE and Physics as a major is to reflect on your interests, strengths, and career goals. If you enjoy hands-on work and have a keen interest in designing and building mechanical systems, MechE may be the right choice for you. If you have a passion for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe and conducting research, Physics may be a better fit. It is also helpful to speak with current students or professionals in both fields to gain a better understanding of the day-to-day work and potential career paths.