What Is the Probability a Lemon Dreamboat Car Came from Factory A?

In summary, for the dreamboats question, the probability of a lemon being produced at factory A is 20%, and for the envelope question, the probability of exactly k envelopes containing a matching color is determined by the number of green cards in green envelopes.
silkdigital
Question:

Dreamboat cars are produced at three different factories A, B, and C. Factory A produces 20% of the total output of Dreamboats, B 50%, and C 30%. However, 5% of the cars at A are lemons, 2% at B are lemons, 10% at C are lemons. If you buy a Dreamboat and it turns out to be a lemon, what is the probability that it was produced at factory A?

My workings were:

0.05 / (0.05 + 0.02 + 0.1) = 29.41%

I ignored the output percentages because the base condition is that the car is a lemon already. Is my logic on the right track? Not sure if I'm correct!

Another tough question is this:

Suppose that 10 cards, of which 7 are red and 3 are green, are put at random into 10 envelopes, of which seven are red and three are green, so that each envelope contains one card. Determine the probability that exactly k envelopes will contain a card with a matching color.

I've managed to obtain k=4
[7C4 * 3C3] / 10C7

and k=10
[7C7 * 3C0] / 10C7

Not sure what the next steps are to express in terms of any k. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks for any help in advance, having some difficulty!

Physics news on Phys.org
Silkdigital,

For the dreamboats, you need
[tex]P(\text{produced at A} | \text{is a lemon}) = \frac{P(\text{produced at A and is a lemon)}}{P(\text{is a lemon})}[/tex]
for which I think you need the output percentages.

For the cards, it may be easier to answer a closely related question: How many green cards are in green envelopes? This is exactly like taking a random sample of three cards without replacement and asking how many of them are green.

silkdigital said:
Question:

Dreamboat cars are produced at three different factories A, B, and C. Factory A produces 20% of the total output of Dreamboats, B 50%, and C 30%. However, 5% of the cars at A are lemons, 2% at B are lemons, 10% at C are lemons. If you buy a Dreamboat and it turns out to be a lemon, what is the probability that it was produced at factory A?

My workings were:

0.05 / (0.05 + 0.02 + 0.1) = 29.41%

Note, you failed to weight your error percentages by the production percentages. The weights can be assigned in various ways provided the proportions are preserved. So for factory A: (0.2)(0.05)/[(0.2)(0.05)+(0.5)(0.02)+(0.3)(0.10)] = 0.01/(0.01+0.01+0.03)=0.2

So if you have a defect, the probabilities are 0.2 from A, 0.2 from B and 0.6 from C. Note they sum to 1.

SW VandeCarr said:
Note, you failed to weight your error percentages by the production percentages. The weights can be assigned in various ways provided the proportions are preserved. So for factory A: (0.2)(0.05)/[(0.2)(0.05)+(0.5)(0.02)+(0.3)(0.10)] = 0.01/(0.01+0.01+0.03)=0.2

So if you have a defect, the probabilities are 0.2 from A, 0.2 from B and 0.6 from C. Note they sum to 1.

Yes I realized it now. I guess I misinterpreted the question. I did the same thing and ended with 0.2, for the envelope question I realized matches only exist for even k when k>=4 (ie 4,6,8,10) and all marginal probabilities add to 1.
Thanks for the help guys!

silkdigital said:
Yes I realized it now. I guess I misinterpreted the question. I did the same thing and ended with 0.2, for the envelope question I realized matches only exist for even k when k>=4 (ie 4,6,8,10) and all marginal probabilities add to 1.
Thanks for the help guys!

You're welcome.

Related to What Is the Probability a Lemon Dreamboat Car Came from Factory A?

1. What is probability and how is it calculated?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

2. How do I know which probability formula to use?

The formula to use depends on the type of event and the given information. Some common probability formulas include the multiplication rule and the addition rule.

3. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect each other's outcome, while dependent events are events that do affect each other's outcome. The probability of independent events can be multiplied together, while the probability of dependent events must be calculated using conditional probability.

4. How do I solve a probability question with multiple events?

To solve a probability question with multiple events, you can use the multiplication rule or the addition rule, depending on whether the events are independent or dependent. It is important to carefully read the question and identify all the given information to determine which formula to use.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve probability questions?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve probability questions. However, it is important to understand the concepts and formulas behind the calculations in order to correctly interpret the results and solve more complex problems.