Stuck on find the frequncey and max speed of a wave, urnt

In summary, the equation of a transverse wave traveling along a very long string is given by y = 6.1 sin(0.010x + 3.0t), where x and y are expressed in centimeters and t is in seconds. The amplitude, wave length, and speed are determined. If the frequency is known, the direction of propagation and the maximum transverse speed of a particle in the string can also be determined.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone! I got some parts of this question right but are stuck on others. Here is the problem:
The equation of a transverse wave traveling along a very long string is given by y = 6.1 sin(0.010x + 3.0t), where x and y are expressed in centimeters and t is in seconds. Determine the following values.

(a) the amplitude
(b) the wavelength
(c) the frequency
?
(d) the speed
?cm/s
(e) the direction of propagation of the wave
+x
[-x]
+y
-y

(f) the maximum transverse speed of a particle in the string
cm/s

From the equation i got the amplitude, From the wave # i got the wave length.
K = wave #
K = 2*pi/WaveLength
WaveLength=200

but now I'm stuck on how I'm suppose to find the frequency?
If i could find the period, i could find the frequency. or if i could find the angular frequency I also could find the frequnecy. Once I find frequency, finding speed would be easy. V = WaveLength*frequncey

How do you know the propagation of the wave? I got it right but it was through guessing.
-x was the answer.

Also how would i find the max speed? Does it invovle me taking the derivative of the function?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
mr_coffee said:
Hello everyone! I got some parts of this question right but are stuck on others. Here is the problem:
The equation of a transverse wave traveling along a very long string is given by y = 6.1 sin(0.010x + 3.0t), where x and y are expressed in centimeters and t is in seconds. Determine the following values.

(a) the amplitude
(b) the wavelength
(c) the frequency
?
(d) the speed
?cm/s
(e) the direction of propagation of the wave
+x
[-x]
+y
-y

(f) the maximum transverse speed of a particle in the string
cm/s

From the equation i got the amplitude, From the wave # i got the wave length.
K = wave #
K = 2*pi/WaveLength
WaveLength=200

but now I'm stuck on how I'm suppose to find the frequency?
If i could find the period, i could find the frequency. or if i could find the angular frequency I also could find the frequnecy. Once I find frequency, finding speed would be easy. V = WaveLength*frequncey

How do you know the propagation of the wave? I got it right but it was through guessing.
-x was the answer.

Also how would i find the max speed? Does it invovle me taking the derivative of the function?

Thanks!

The angular frequency [itex] \omega [/itex] is simply what multiplies the time ! (so 3.0).

A traveling wave moves to the right if the x and t terms have opposite signs.

You could find the velocity by taking the derivative with respect to time and then find when the velocity is max, but the quick answer is that the max speed of a particle is [itex] A \omega [/itex]

Patrick

THanks a lot man! WOrked perfectly!

What makes you think that the wavelength is 200 [cm?]?
k is the quantity that multiplies x , so wavelength = 2 pi /.01 = 628.

lightgrav said:
What makes you think that the wavelength is 200 [cm?]?
k is the quantity that multiplies x , so wavelength = 2 pi /.01 = 628.

Good point, lightgrav... I did not check the parts that he said he had no problems with. He forgot the factor of pi.

Pat

1. What is the frequency of a wave?

The frequency of a wave is the number of complete cycles or vibrations that occur in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. How do you find the frequency of a wave?

To find the frequency of a wave, you can use the formula f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period (the time it takes for one cycle to occur). Alternatively, you can count the number of cycles in a given time and divide by that time to calculate the frequency.

3. What is the maximum speed of a wave?

The maximum speed of a wave depends on the medium it is traveling through. For example, the speed of sound waves in air is approximately 343 meters per second, while the speed of light waves in a vacuum is about 299,792,458 meters per second.

4. How do you determine the maximum speed of a wave?

The maximum speed of a wave can be calculated using the formula v = λf, where v is the speed, λ (lambda) is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. Alternatively, the maximum speed of a wave can also be measured using specialized instruments such as an oscilloscope.

5. What is the relationship between frequency and maximum speed of a wave?

The relationship between frequency and maximum speed of a wave is inverse. This means that as the frequency of a wave increases, the maximum speed of the wave decreases. This relationship is described by the formula v = λf, where λ (lambda) is the wavelength and f is the frequency.