1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck with finding function from graph of its derivative.

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    So the question asks me to use the following information to graph the function f over the closed interval [-2, 5]
    i) The graph of f is made of closed line segments joined end to end.
    ii) The graph starts at the point (-2, 3)
    ii) The derivative of f is the step function in the figure shown here.
    That's all give as well as a graph, but I don't know how to put a graph on so I'll just state it's points.
    x: [-2 to 0) y' = -2
    x: (0 to 1) y' = 0
    x: (1 to 3) y' = 1
    x: (3 to 5] y' = -1

I am totally clueless of what to do, I missed that class and wasn't able to catch up to what I missed. I tried reading through the text to see if it says anything about this but found nothing. I know y' is basically the slope of f(x), and I know how to do integration (but I am not allowed to use it, as we haven't gotten there yet). Anyways, my point is I tried integrating the y' but yea, it just makes no sense to me. I hate graphs.
    I would love any idea, I just wish to understand how to do this and then I'll be fine figuring out the rest.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2
    The derivative of a function at a point is just the slope of the function at that point. Does that help?

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    Yea i figured that out, so that mean the line of the derivative is just the slope of the original graph?

5. Sep 24, 2009 #4
    I don't know what that question means. What is the line of the derivative?

The value of the derivative at a point is the slope of the original function at that point.

For example.

If y' = 2 then the slope of y at x is 2.

6. Sep 24, 2009 #5
    Ah, I got it. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook