Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory

In summary, Klauber's book is more readable than many, but some of his opinions about normal ordering and vacuum energy may be controversial. However, his book does discuss the Casimir effect, and for two-point functions the left-hand side is an important physical quantity.
sandy stone
The thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/qft-operators-time-space-asymmetry.906369/ contains the first recommendation I have seen in these forums for Klauber's book, and instead of hijacking that thread I thought I might ask a question here. I find the book more readable than many for someone at my level, but the author admits he has some minority views regarding normal ordering and vacuum energy. Do any of the mentors find his opinions far enough off the mainstream to not recommend the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if he doesn't normal order even the free Hamiltonian of any QFT, he'll get an infinite vacuum energy. On the other hand normal ordering the free Hamiltonian leads to a finite vacuum energy (set to 0 as it should be) and to a finite energy of any well-defined Fock state, which makes much more sense than the theory without normal ordering.

On the other hand, normal ordering is not necessary, if you discuss renormalization anyway, and you have to to get finite results, and then you can as well renormalize the effective quantum action as the scattering amplitudes. I don't think that this makes Klauber's book a nogo. However, I'm not familiar enough with it to say anything qualified in its favor or disfavor.

My favorite as an introductory textbook is

M. D. Schwartz, Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University press

As I understand it, Klauber's position is that normal ordering ignores the fact that the commutators of the reversed terms are non-zero. Of course, as you point out, normal ordering does give sensible answers. It seems a puzzle.

If the difference between normal ordered and default ordered Hamiltonian is just a constant, then both orderings lead to the same physical results. That's the case in all examples studied in Klauber's book. But in some cases (not studied in the book) the difference may depend on some dynamical quantities, and in such cases normal ordering usually gives wrong results.

Likes MichPod and vanhees71
Demystifier said:
But in some cases (not studied in the book) the difference may depend on some dynamical quantities, and in such cases normal ordering usually gives wrong results.
Do you have an example?

vanhees71 said:
Do you have an example?
Sure, Casimir effect:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.03291
When the difference between the two orderings is dynamical (as in Casimir effect), then the corresponding energy is real but cannot be properly interpreted as zero-point energy.

Note also that for two-point functions
$$\langle 0|\phi(x)\phi(y)| 0\rangle \neq \langle 0|:\phi(x)\phi(y):| 0\rangle$$
The left-hand side is an important physical quantity in QFT, while the right-hand side is zero. The vacuum-expectation value of the Hamiltonian can often be expressed in terms of such a two-point function.

Last edited:

1. What is "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory"?

"Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" is a simplified version of quantum field theory, which is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It is designed to be more approachable and easier to understand for students who are new to the subject.

2. How is "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" different from regular quantum field theory?

The main difference is that "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" uses simplified mathematical equations and concepts to explain complex phenomena. It also focuses on the most important and fundamental aspects of quantum field theory, rather than diving into advanced topics that may be overwhelming for beginners.

3. Who can benefit from learning "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory"?

Anyone who is interested in understanding the behavior of particles at a subatomic level can benefit from learning "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory". It is especially helpful for students who are new to the subject and may not have a strong background in advanced mathematics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for learning "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory"?

A basic understanding of quantum mechanics and special relativity is recommended before diving into "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory". Some familiarity with calculus and linear algebra may also be helpful, but these topics are not necessary for understanding the main concepts.

5. How can I incorporate "Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" into my studies or research?

"Student Friendly Quantum Field Theory" can be used as a starting point for learning more advanced topics in quantum field theory, or it can be used as a supplement to other materials in your studies or research. It provides a simplified and intuitive approach to understanding the fundamental principles of quantum field theory, which can be applied to various fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics.