Studies: Belief in God relieves depression?

In summary, the research indicates that belief in a concerned God can improve response to medical treatment for patients diagnosed with clinical depression. However, this does not provide evidence for the existence of God and other beliefs, such as believing in the psychic powers of pets, may also have a similar effect. The researchers' personal beliefs and cultural biases should also be taken into consideration.
lisab said:
There's a lot of misunderstanding of what atheism means.

Atheism is not the absence of hope; atheism is simply not believing in the supernatural. I'm atheist, and I still have hope, even in hopeless situations. When an ambulance goes by with its siren blaring, I still say a prayer for the person inside - even though I fully realize I'm not, in any way, affecting what's going on inside that ambulance. The prayer, I suppose, is an expression of hope. Part of my humanity, I guess. But I'm quite clear that there is nothing supernatural going on there.

All IMO :smile:.
Atheists are emotionally stronger than religious people because they have morals without threats and can cope with bad situations without an emotional crutch. I understand that many humans are too weak to cope with adversity on their own and need a crutch, they need support of other people that believe as they do and even need a belief in the supernatural. I'm fine with that if that's what they need, as long as they keep that need within their group and don't try to insist other people have the same weaknesses.

Physics news on Phys.org
I totally respect you opinion Evo, but sometimes it also takes strength to believe as well. For example, I used to be an atheist, and when I started looking at what I felt was evidence for things of a spiritual nature it did cause some resistance in me. Even though I am not a scientist or part of the scientific community I have always wanted to keep my beliefs in line with what current science teaches. I had also spent a lot of time in my life arguing that the spiritual aspects of reality were not really real. I had to really make a bold step and break away from the current thinking of things by science. I do admit though that it does give me comfort to believe, but I would not believe if I were not convinced of what I felt was evidence, and I am still always questioning and looking for new data. There is a lot of data that I have come across, but I am not going to post it here because it was not gained by normal research at a university.

I agree and disagree with Eve. I think that religion can give you strength, and that it can take strength to believe as well. I think that certain people, regardless of their beliefs, are "weaker" or "stronger" than others. People that can't handle life typically find something or someone to fall back on, be it religion, a friend, drugs, whatever.

Gokul43201 said:
I don't follow. Can you make your point about belief in God directly, without resorting to analogy?

Lost me again. The quote above from jduster says nothing about needing proof.

Is it rational to feel better when you think of a blue sky on a cloudy day? You know the sky isn't blue - yet it makes you feel better - how is that possible?

A few posts up-thread, Lisa said she's an atheist - yet she also says "When an ambulance goes by with its siren blaring, I still say a prayer for the person inside - even though I fully realize I'm not, in any way, affecting what's going on inside that ambulance. The prayer, I suppose, is an expression of hope".

My point is this, a belief in anything you personally believe is positive - whether it's God, a blue sky, or hope - can make you feel better. You don't need proof of something for it to help you feel better.

WhoWee said:
Is it rational to feel better when you think of a blue sky on a cloudy day? You know the sky isn't blue - yet it makes you feel better - how is that possible?

A few posts up-thread, Lisa said she's an atheist - yet she also says "When an ambulance goes by with its siren blaring, I still say a prayer for the person inside - even though I fully realize I'm not, in any way, affecting what's going on inside that ambulance. The prayer, I suppose, is an expression of hope".

My point is this, a belief in anything you personally believe is positive - whether it's God, a blue sky, or hope - can make you feel better. You don't need proof of something for it to help you feel better.

The point of my post was, you don't need to believe in the supernatural to have hope.

lisab said:
The point of my post was, you don't need to believe in the supernatural to have hope.

My guess is your "prayer" goes something like this "I hope they are ok" - am I close? If hope makes you feel better - it makes you feel better - no further analysis required (IMO). If I'm REALLY feeling down, I sometimes think of this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrwhfhncPfM&feature=related

It makes me feel better.

On the other hand, this version doesn't work as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZldHDOCNgo&feature=related

WhoWee said:
My guess is your "prayer" goes something like this "I hope they are ok" - am I close? If hope makes you feel better - it makes you feel better - no further analysis required (IMO). If I'm REALLY feeling down, I sometimes think of this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrwhfhncPfM&feature=related

It makes me feel better.

On the other hand, this version doesn't work as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZldHDOCNgo&feature=related

Yes, an expression of hope and goodwill to whoever is in there.

Nice song :smile:.