Preparing for Physics: Essential Math Skills for Undergraduates

• Thread starter xmangosaintx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the person is considering dropping their psychology course to major in physics. They have a basic understanding of theories like relativity and quantum, but are concerned about the math involved. They are asking for resources to improve their math skills and are advised to take calculus, precalculus, linear algebra, and other math courses to have a better understanding of physics. The person is encouraged to at least take a year of calculus and physics to fully understand science.
xmangosaintx
Study Math??

Hey guys,

I know the title may look deceiving, I'm sorry, it was bold in red
"Title (be descriptive! one/two word titles may be deleted!):"

So yea.. :)

Um, intro:
I'm a freshman on bachelor of psychology, but I read up on Physics on my past time..
I am also considering to drop my psychology course and take up Physics. I find myself really thinking!

But, I don't want to jump into action, and go into Physics path, but end up not being able to cope with the maths used, and what not.

Theories, I've seemed to understand decently on relativity and abit on quantum (knowing its very very hard).. But I find quantum theory very interesting, especially on quantum entanglement, and quantum jiggles.

Soo, coming back to the topic,
I hope yu guys, would be a kind lad, and provide me with links to type of questions, or tutorials where I can shape up my equations to at least to an undergrad level..

Please and thanks. ☺

-Hevind-

Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry, but if you want to major in physics, as opposed to reading popular books about it, you have to take math classes. Lots of them. Ideally, you should have taken calculus in high school; no help for it now. But unless you are unusually intelligent and motivated, it will be very difficult to finish a physics degree in four years if you do not take calculus-based physics in your freshman year.

So if you need to "shape up your equations," your path is clear. If you're not comfortable with algebra, trig, and analytic geometry, take precalculus. Then freshman calculus. Then linear algebra, diff eq, vector calculus. Some of those can be taken concurrently with other math or physics classes; look at your math or physics department's recommended sequence. You'll probably need more math than the above, but those are the basics.

I realize it's daunting, but there's a reason why physics is considered harder than English Lit.

And note that you do not have to go all the way. But if you are interested in science at all, you really owe it to yourself to take at least a year of calculus and physics, even if you end up taking freshman classes as a senior, or via self-study. They open up all of science to you. You can learn interesting facts about science without them, but you can't really understand how things fit together.

Last edited:

What is "Study Math: Get Started Here!"?

"Study Math: Get Started Here!" is an online resource designed to help individuals of all ages and skill levels develop a stronger understanding of math concepts.

Who is this resource for?

This resource is for anyone who wants to improve their math skills, whether they are a student, teacher, or simply interested in learning more about math.

What topics are covered in "Study Math: Get Started Here!"?

"Study Math: Get Started Here!" covers a wide range of topics, from basic arithmetic and algebra to more advanced concepts like calculus and statistics.

Are there any prerequisites for using "Study Math: Get Started Here!"?

No, there are no prerequisites for using this resource. It is designed to be accessible to all learners, regardless of their math background or experience.

How can "Study Math: Get Started Here!" benefit me?

This resource can help improve your math skills, build your confidence in math, and provide you with the tools and resources you need to succeed in your academic or professional pursuits.