Studying in a second language

In summary, the person is going to university next year and intends to enroll in a joint program in maths and physics at two Montreal universities. Their first language is french, and they have never lived in an english place or studied in an english school. They would like to go to McGill, but they are worried about their english. They have two friends who have gone to university in english-speaking countries and both of them moved on to graduate school without difficulty. Louis Taillefer is probably the most famous condensed matter theorist in Canada and he works at Sherbrooke.
gab_6666
Hi, I live in Quebec and I'm going to university next year, I intend to enroll myself in a joint program in maths and physics that are offered in 2 Montreal universities, Université de Montréal and McGill. My first language is french and I have never lived in a english place or studied in a english school, but I would like to go to McGill. Do some of you guys have studied undergraduate level in another language that your maternal ?

I don't know if I could do it, how is it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your english doesn't seem too bad. As long as you have some reference in case you meet some trouble, you should be fine.

Your English seems good enough, you should do it.

Also, even if you went to a French university, you would probably be using English textbooks in most (if not all) classes. You might find it easier to take the courses directly in English, as then you won't have to continuously move back and forth between the two languages, especially with the more specific terminology.

Not to mention, there will be a number of people in your class who would be able to help you with some translation problems if any ever come about.

Finally, if you're planning on doing graduate studies, you would most likely be doing those in English somewhere outside of Quebec, and it's a lot easier to pick up new terminology at the undergraduate stage, than at the graduate level stage.

I am bilingual, and I've seen many people improve their English significantly through discussion. Hanging out with English speaking people will do wonders. You should also try to watch as much English movies or shows as you can, as it helps allot. That said, even though colloquial language is the most important to learn, you'll also need a fair load of formal language, so I recommend reading newspaper articles or essays.

I have two friends who took astronomy at UM and another friend who did physics at Sherbrooke and both moved on to M.Sc's at english-speaking universities without difficulty. Louis Taillefer is probably the most famous condensed matter theorist in Canada and he works at Sherbrooke.

When you get to graduate school you'll probably find that a solid half of your classmates have something other than English as their first language. My classmates made me ashamed that my French is so terrible!

McGill has a good program and the university is large enough that there are lots of exciting non-physics non-math things to do.

What is the benefit of studying in a second language?

Studying in a second language has numerous benefits, including improving cognitive skills, enhancing cultural understanding, and increasing career opportunities. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the language and its nuances.

What challenges may arise when studying in a second language?

Some challenges that students may face when studying in a second language include difficulties with grammar and vocabulary, as well as understanding complex concepts. There may also be a sense of isolation or frustration if one is not able to fully express themselves in the second language.

How can I improve my language skills while studying in a second language?

There are various ways to improve language skills while studying in a second language, such as practicing regularly, immersing oneself in the language and culture, seeking help from a tutor or language exchange partner, and utilizing online resources and language learning apps.

What are some tips for adapting to studying in a second language?

To adapt to studying in a second language, it can be helpful to set realistic goals, stay motivated, and maintain a positive attitude. It is also important to be patient with oneself and seek support from teachers or peers when needed. Additionally, practicing self-care and taking breaks can help alleviate any stress or pressure.

How can studying in a second language contribute to personal growth?

Studying in a second language can contribute to personal growth by enhancing communication skills, developing cultural competence, and promoting adaptability and resilience. It can also expand one's worldview and open up opportunities for personal and professional growth.