Overcoming Struggles in Physics: Tips for Success

• Thread starter bubbles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: If you are struggling in physics, it is likely because you are studying the material in the wrong way. A tutor may be a good idea to help you learn the material in a different way and re-focus your efforts.
bubbles
I am struggling in my second physics course. My last physics class was a lot easier (because the material was much easier and the homeworks and exams were also much easier). I spend hours studying, reviewing, and doing homework, but I still don't understand it. Does physics require talent and not just hard work? How am I suppose to learn/study physics? I'm sure I'm studying the wrong way and don't have the talent for physics and I'm losing motivation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bubbles- sorry to hear you aren't enjoying your physics as much in your second course. You should find a tutor to explain the material to you in a different way than your professor uses. Let your professor know you're having trouble; he or she may know of tutors.

Hard work is required even of people who have talent - I don't think it's "easy" for anyone. The one thing all physics majors have in common is determination.

One mistake that students make is they don't get enough sleep. You can't learn if you're frustrated and tired.

Good luck!

While talent is certainly a factor, there are many very successful, prolific, and highly untalented professors in the world. You are absolutely right that if you feel you aren't learning anything then you're studying the wrong way. This doesn't mean you can't learn it, it just means you're studying the wrong way! Introductory electrostatics is harder for almost everyone than introductory Newtonian mechanics, so you're in good company.

I think where a lot of students make a breakthrough in second semester physics is when they learn to start visualizing problems. Just doing problems isn't enough, but of course you need to do problems to practice visualizing them; when you can actually "see" what's going on, everything starts falling into place.

bubbles said:
I am struggling in my second physics course. My last physics class was a lot easier (because the material was much easier and the homeworks and exams were also much easier). I spend hours studying, reviewing, and doing homework, but I still don't understand it. Does physics require talent and not just hard work? How am I suppose to learn/study physics? I'm sure I'm studying the wrong way and don't have the talent for physics and I'm losing motivation.

physics is certainly not easy. Having said that some hard work and given that you are not misguided, you should be able to accomplish quite a lot. At ugrad level at least, it shouldn't be a problem. Seek help if needed!
work out which are of physics that you have been having problem with: is it the mathematics? is it the concepts? is it just solving exam style problems? each would require different tactic to tackle. sit down and think about what is failing you and target those areas head on. good luck

bubbles said:

Definitely approach your professor *immediately*, if not sooner, and have an open honest discussion about your difficulties. Do not expect your professor to have a magic answer, but it is imperative that you show your professor that even though you are working your butt off (and bring your homework etc. to prove it), you are not "getting it".

1. How can I improve my understanding of complex physics concepts?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of complex physics concepts is to practice, practice, practice. Work through as many problems as you can, and if you get stuck, seek help from your teacher or peers. It's also helpful to break down the concept into smaller, more manageable parts and make connections to real-world examples.

2. How do I manage my time effectively when studying physics?

Time management is crucial when studying physics. One tip is to break up your study sessions into smaller chunks, rather than trying to cram everything in at once. You should also prioritize your study time and focus on the topics that are most challenging for you. Additionally, take breaks and make sure to get enough rest to avoid burnout.

3. What are some effective study techniques for physics exams?

Some effective study techniques for physics exams include creating study guides or summary sheets, practicing with past exams or practice problems, and teaching the material to someone else. It's also important to actively engage with the material, rather than simply reading or memorizing it.

4. How can I overcome test anxiety in physics exams?

Test anxiety is a common struggle for many students. To overcome it, try to stay calm and focused during the exam by taking deep breaths and focusing on the task at hand. It's also helpful to have a positive mindset and remind yourself that you have studied and are prepared for the exam. Additionally, make sure to get enough rest and eat a healthy breakfast before the exam.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in physics?

There are many resources available to help you succeed in physics. Your teacher or professor is a valuable resource and can provide extra help or clarification on topics. You can also join study groups or seek tutoring from peers or online resources. Additionally, there are many helpful books, videos, and online courses that can supplement your learning. Don't be afraid to reach out for help when needed.