Stupid Question about a Notation in Linear algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning and usage of mathematical symbols, specifically the arrow (->) and the cross (X) in relation to maps and cartesian products. The symbols are commonly used in various branches of math, such as linear algebra and set theory. There are resources available, such as books and online lists, for understanding and referencing these symbols.
smodak
I know the arrow -> means a map.

For example,
1613f48b6e25817f7df33fa935d2c918.png
defines a linear map. But I cannot figure out what does a X mean?

94842b9bc828789f99f1ff660295844b.png

I know that above denote a inner product map. whatever is on the left of the : is defined by whatever is on the right. but what is the x symbol? What is the correct way to read it? Is there a basic book that can tell me more about these symbols?

Physics news on Phys.org
smodak said:
I know the arrow -> means a map.

For example,
1613f48b6e25817f7df33fa935d2c918.png
defines a linear map. But I cannot figure out what does a X mean?

94842b9bc828789f99f1ff660295844b.png

I know that above denote a inner product map. whatever is on the left of the : is defined by whatever is on the right. but what is the x symbol? What is the correct way to read it? Is there a basic book that can tell me more about these symbols?
It describes the set of all pairs ##(u,v)## with elements ##u,v \in V##. It is called cartesian product.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_product

Likes smodak
I guess it denotes a bil
fresh_42 said:
It describes the set of all pairs ##(u,v)## with elements ##u,v \in V##. It is called cartesian product.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_product

Ah-Ha! I am a software engineer. I know what a cartesian product is (use it all the time in SQL). I had no idea that's what it meant :) Thanks a lot.

Which branch of math is this? I know basic linear algebra and basic set theory but never used such symbols as I showed above. Is there any suitable book for this?

smodak said:
I guess it denotes a bilAh-Ha! I am a software engineer. I know what a cartesian product is (use it all the time in SQL). I had no idea that's what it meant :) Thanks a lot.

Which branch of math is this? I know basic linear algebra and basic set theory but never used such symbols as I showed above. Is there any suitable book for this?
It's so common and often used that I never thought about it. Every introduction to basic set theory or algebra should contain it. Sometimes (e.g. set theory) it is also abbreviated by ##V^2## but in the case of vector spaces where ##V^2## usually denotes the sum of vector spaces this might lead to misunderstandings. This example shows that one has to be careful and look how single authors define their notation. However, the cross defines always the set of pairs, as ∩ defines an intersection and ∪ a union. For a quick reference you can look it up in Wiki and ask us if you need the name of a symbol.
There are probably pdf for free which contain an overview of symbols.

Likes suremarc and smodak

1. What is a notation in linear algebra?

A notation in linear algebra is a system of symbols and rules used to represent mathematical concepts and operations in the study of linear equations, matrices, and vector spaces.

2. Why is it important to understand notation in linear algebra?

Understanding notation in linear algebra is crucial because it allows scientists to communicate complex mathematical concepts and equations in a concise and standardized manner. It also helps in solving problems and performing calculations accurately.

3. What are some common notations used in linear algebra?

Some common notations used in linear algebra include matrices, vectors, scalars, dot product, cross product, determinant, and transpose. Each notation has a specific symbol or set of symbols associated with it and follows certain rules and conventions.

4. How can I learn and remember all the notations in linear algebra?

Learning and remembering notations in linear algebra takes practice and repetition. It is helpful to create flashcards or use mnemonic devices to help remember the symbols and their corresponding meanings. It is also important to understand the underlying concepts and principles behind each notation.

5. Are notations in linear algebra universal or can they vary between different sources?

Notations in linear algebra are generally universal, but they can vary slightly between different sources. It is important to check the specific notation conventions used in a particular source or textbook to avoid confusion and ensure accurate communication of mathematical ideas.