Stupid questions physics majors might ask

In summary, the conversation discusses the type of energy that a particle possesses at a height of 0 relative to the Earth's surface. The experts explain that the particle has potential energy and may also have thermal and chemical energy. They also mention that the energy of an object is always measured relative to the energy of something else. The conversation then shifts to why a cat always lands on its paws, and it is explained that the cat uses its tail and conservation of angular momentum to rotate itself in mid-air.
anton717
But what kind of energy does a particle possesses at 0 height?

Physics news on Phys.org
anton717 said:
But what kind of energy does a particle possesses at 0 height?
Can you be more specific?

Chet

Height of 0 relative to what?

You have not said anything about whether the object is in motion or not. I guess you meant it is at rest, but even then question about "at rest relative to what" would be still an important one.

Borek said:
Height of 0 relative to what?

You have not said anything about whether the object is in motion or not. I guess you meant it is at rest, but even then question about "at rest relative to what" would be still an important one.

The particle is not in motion, it's at rest. And I meant to word it as RELATIVE to the Earth's surface.

Chestermiller said:
Can you be more specific?

Chet
When a particle is at certain height (at rest) it has Potential Energy, when a particle is in motion, let's say, on the Earth's surface it has Kinetic Energy, but what about a particle is at rest and on the surface of the Earth? Does it have any kind of energy stored? I am not into physics so my questions may not be clear.

anton717 said:
When a particle is at certain height (at rest) it has Potential Energy, when a particle is in motion, let's say, on the Earth's surface it has Kinetic Energy, but what about a particle is at rest and on the surface of the Earth? Does it have any kind of energy stored? I am not into physics so my questions may not be clear.
It still has potential energy. Its value is zero if you define potential energy relative to the surface of Earth (this is a purely arbitrary definition).
It has thermal energy and chemical energy.
It has energy from its rest mass.

Likes gracy and anton717
anton717 said:
At rest relative to the Earth's surface? Then the difference between the potential energy of the particle and the potential energy of the Earth's surface is zero. The difference between the particle's kinetic energy and the kinetic energy of the Earth's surface is zero. (Technically, the particle could have internal kinetic energy due to heat or chemical energy, but that's irrelevant in the given context.)

You're always measuring the energy of an object relative to the energy of something else. In your example, I'd assume the surface of the Earth is your "origin" - what you're comparing your energy levels to. But if you were using the center of the Earth as your "origin", both the particle and the surface of the Earth would have potential energy and kinetic energy. They'd both just have the same of each.

Why does a cat always land on its paws? Does the cat rotate itself somehow through mid air?

nuuskur said:
Why does a cat always land on its paws? Does the cat rotate itself somehow through mid air?

Yes, and it uses its tail and conservation of angular momentum! I guess it's body distortions are probably more relevant than its tail in conservation.

Pythagorean said:
I guess it's body distortions are probably more relevant than its tail in conservation.
Right. The tail might have some stabilizing/control function, but cats can rotate without it in the same way they can do it with tail.

1. Why do I need to study physics if I'm not planning on becoming a physicist?

While physics may not directly apply to your career, it teaches critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a deeper understanding of the world around us. These skills can be valuable in any field.

2. Is it necessary to understand advanced math to understand physics?

While a strong understanding of math is helpful, it is not necessary to understand advanced math to grasp the basic concepts of physics. However, advanced math is often used to explain and predict more complex phenomena in physics.

3. Can I still become a physicist if I didn't study physics in high school?

Yes, it is possible to become a physicist even if you didn't study physics in high school. Many universities offer introductory physics courses for students who have not taken it before. However, a strong foundation in math and science is recommended.

4. Is it true that everything in the universe can be explained through physics?

While physics can explain a vast majority of phenomena in the universe, there are still many unanswered questions and mysteries that may never be fully explained by physics alone.

5. What is the most challenging aspect of studying physics?

The most challenging aspect of studying physics varies from person to person, but some common challenges include understanding complex mathematical concepts, visualizing abstract ideas, and applying theories to real-world situations.