This is probably a stupid question basic equation laws

In summary, when solving equations and moving terms from one side to the other, it is important to remember that the sign may change depending on the operations used. When moving terms, it is best to think in terms of performing opposite operations, such as subtracting instead of "moving" a term to the other side. This will help avoid confusion and ensure accuracy in solving equations. Additionally, teachers and students should be clear and precise in their language when discussing algebraic concepts to avoid misunderstandings.
dvmckay23
Okay, so say I have an equation that looks like this:

9y - 4x + 5 = 0
and I wan to move every thing but the y over to the right hand side.

When it gets to the last step and looks like this:
9y = 4x - 5

When I move 9 over to the other side, does it's sign change? I know the other terms will be divided by it, but I don't remember if it is supposed to be negative... my text has examples that aren't quite clear.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]y = \frac {4x - 5} {9}[/tex]

To move 5 from the left to right you have substracted 5 from both sides - in effect it has changed the sign, but all you did was to make the same operation to both sides of the equation.

To move 9 to the right side you have to divide both sides by 9. Sign won't change, but 9 will move from nominator to denominator. In a way that's similar to sign change.

Last edited:
This is why I strongly dislike talking about moving numbers from one side of the equation to the other! People get confused about changing sign because "moving" doesn't distinguish between add and dividing.

When you "move" the x in x+ y= 5 to the right, what you are really doing is subtracting x from both sides of the equation. You should be thinking, "the x in x+ y is added to y so I need to do the opposite, subtract it from both sides:
x+ y- x= 5- x which reduces to y= 5- x. x didn't "change sign", it is subtracted.

If you have xy= 5 and want to get y alone, because x is multiplied, again you have to do the opposite: divide. xy/x= 5/x which is just y= 5/x.

Halls, great answer. It is so important that teachers of algebra pay particular attention to what they say they are doing, and their language. They then need to impose the same strictness on their students. (Easier said then done, I know, but in a perfect world...). "Moving a number to the other side" is way to ambiguous for mathematics. This causes students to get confused; case and point the OP.

Related to This is probably a stupid question basic equation laws

What is the basic equation law?

The basic equation law, also known as the fundamental equation of mathematics, is a mathematical principle that states that two expressions separated by an equal sign have the same value. This means that whatever operation is performed on one side of the equation must also be performed on the other side in order to maintain equality.

What are the four basic equation laws?

The four basic equation laws are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These laws dictate the operations that can be performed on both sides of an equation while still maintaining equality. For example, in the equation 2x + 3 = 9, the basic equation laws allow us to subtract 3 from both sides, resulting in 2x = 6.

When should I use the basic equation laws?

The basic equation laws should be used whenever you need to solve an equation or find the value of a variable. These laws allow you to manipulate the expressions in an equation in order to isolate the variable you are solving for.

Can the basic equation laws be applied to any type of equation?

Yes, the basic equation laws can be applied to any type of equation, as long as it follows the format of having an equal sign separating two expressions. These laws are fundamental principles of mathematics and are applicable to all types of equations.

Why are the basic equation laws important in science?

The basic equation laws are important in science because they allow scientists to accurately represent and manipulate mathematical relationships between different variables. This is crucial in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology, where equations are used to describe natural phenomena and make predictions about the world. By following the basic equation laws, scientists can ensure the validity and accuracy of their calculations and conclusions.