1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Style of learning course material

1. Jun 17, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering how you guys read from a book. Let me be clearer.

When reading a paragraph in a book, do you read very slowly with full concentration until you understand every fact in that segment and make relevant notes, or do you read the material a few times, understand all (or most) of it, don't re-read it to look for any items you might have missed and move on?

I mean are you very careful when absorbing new material or do you treat the process reluctantly in the belief that if you have missed any information then that does not really matter as you will know the key stuff anyway from your future studies of the topic.

Please reply!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2010 #2
    Often, you don't understand everything the first time. You might have to read it again or look at other books.

4. Jun 17, 2010 #3
    I'd say that it isn't optimal to do each sentence in order, since then you are just following the constructed path of the book. It is better to do it your own way and to do that you need to get some perspective on the material, skimming is great for that. Everyone learns differently.

5. Jun 17, 2010 #4
    I understand that I do have to look at other books as well sometimes, but what I mean is whether you would, after understanding the material pretty well, still read the material a couple of times again, in case you have missed out an important point or would you leave that to chance.

6. Jun 18, 2010 #5
    I can't honestly say that I have ever read any section of any textbook in its entirety. I scan pages for theorems, definitions, propositions, and I make note of those things. I then memorize my notes and do questions.

7. Jun 18, 2010 #6
    And does that give you the exam results you want?

8. Jun 19, 2010 #7
    It works for me...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook