SU(2), SU(3) and other symmetries

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of symmetries, specifically SU(2), SU(3), unitary group, and orthogonal group SO(1), and their significance in modern physics. The conversation suggests starting with the group U(1) and gradually moving on to more complex groups. It also recommends studying Georgi's book "Lie Algebras in Particle Physics" or Zee's book on group theory. The conversation also notes the importance of understanding matrix multiplication and representation theory in understanding these groups and their applications in physics. There is also mention of the connection between math and physics and the importance of understanding both the algebraic and geometric forms of these concepts.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

I am trying to understand the concept of symmetries, SU(2), SU(3), unitary group, orthogonal group SO(1)...so on.

I don't know from where to start and what would be the first group to study and then move on step by step into the other.

Also, I need to have a basic (theoretical) understanding, what this mean and the significances in modern physics.

Can anybody please guide me?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In general the same ways are followed in every book which deals with theoretical particle physics or maybe group theory books. it goes from U(1) up to SU(3) [maybe SU(4) or SU(5) for BSM- although they almost are the same each step higher you get]. The SU(2) in general is studied in parallel with SO(3) or vice versa. I think the "easiest" is SU(2) and SO(3) because everyone has some basic understanding on spin physics or angular momenta.

As for their significance, it wouldn't be much to say that they are very important... from the fact that they are the Standard Model, as well as they are used in GUTs or sugra/strings etc... Some of them can also be applied in quantum physics or even classical mechanics. I don't understand the question "what this mean"

I'd recommend Georgi's book- Lie Algebras in Particle Physics. If you find you are not so accustomed with the context, you should try at first some introduction to group theory and Lie algebras.

PS. This could go to group theory or high energy physics?

Last edited:
You might try Zee's treatment of group theory first. It's short and very instructive. Also, I liked 't Hooft his notes (Lie groups in physics).

I try to remember when I first did this same question, more than 20 years ago.

A first hint: uppercase SU(2) is group, lowercase su(2) is algebra.

All of them are matrix groups, so this is the first prerequiste: understand matrix multiplication.

arivero said:
All of them are matrix groups, so this is the first prerequiste: understand matrix multiplication.

Isn't it a concret representation of abstract algebraic structures ?

: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representation_theory

In essence, a representation makes an abstract algebraic object more concrete by describing its elements by matrices and the algebraic operations in terms of matrix addition and matrix multiplication

Patrcik

No. The elements of matrix groups are matrices per definition, the elements form the fundamental representation.

haushofer said:
No. The elements of matrix groups are matrices per definition, the elements form the fundamental representation.
Physics use the concept of "Irreducible representation". The Group elements can be represented by matrices. A representation of a group is a mapping from the group elements to the general linear group of matrices.

In mathematics, the general linear group of degree n is the set of n×n invertible matrices, together with the operation of ordinary matrix multiplication.

More generally still, the general linear group of a vector space GL(V) is the abstract automorphism group, not necessarily written as matrices.

Example : Representation theory of SU(2)

Patrick

I think by "what this mean" OP asked about the link between math and physics. Why particles can be described by those math groups? Why "there are 8 but not 9 gluons" followed from "there are 8 generators of SU(3)"? Why math rules (8 generators) took over physics logic (3 gluons and 3 anti-gluons make 9 pairs)? Etc...

Most of the jargon involved (e.g. "groups") is first taught to mathematicians in a class typically called "Abstract Algebra" which is essentially the study of mathematical operators that don't follow the same rules of analogous addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponent, and parentheses operators in ordinary algebra with real numbered variables. For example, b*a and a*b might have different values.

Algebra using matrixes obeys some of these modified rules of algebra and is usually taught to mathematicians in a class called "Linear Algebra". Moduli mathematics are also relevant and typically are first introduced in the concrete case of trigonometry since any angle +2*pi*N for any integer value of N has the same value as the original angle. Moduli mathematics are also important in the mathematics of imaginary numbers which are often first addressed really rigorously in a course called "complex analysis."

Another challenge is that almost all math with physics applications has both an algebric form and a geometric form. Math classes tend to emphasize the algebric form, but understanding the physics typically requires a good grasp of the concepts from a geometric perspective. My background is in mathematics, for example, and I understood how to calculate the cross product and dot product of two vectors for years before I learned their geometrical meaning in a physics class.

VRT said:
I think by "what this mean" OP asked about the link between math and physics. Why particles can be described by those math groups? Why "there are 8 but not 9 gluons" followed from "there are 8 generators of SU(3)"? Why math rules (8 generators) took over physics logic (3 gluons and 3 anti-gluons make 9 pairs)? Etc...

For this, it is better to start by understanding what U(1) "means".

I'd like to see a geometrical meaning of U(1), U(2) or U(n) in general... same for SU(n)

Here're my favorite lectures on the subject - "Group Theory, Robert de Mello Koch" - very intense. I wish quality of the video would be better, though...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is SU(2) and SU(3)?

SU(2) and SU(3) are both groups of mathematical symmetries that describe the fundamental interactions of subatomic particles. SU(2) is a group of symmetries that describes the strong and weak nuclear forces, while SU(3) describes the strong nuclear force.

2. How do SU(2) and SU(3) relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theoretical framework that describes the fundamental particles and forces of the universe. SU(2) and SU(3) are two of the three groups of symmetries that make up the Standard Model, with the third being U(1). These symmetries govern the interactions between quarks and leptons, the building blocks of matter.

3. What are the applications of SU(2) and SU(3) symmetries?

SU(2) and SU(3) symmetries have a wide range of applications in physics, including particle physics, quantum mechanics, and condensed matter physics. They are used to describe and predict the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions, as well as the properties of materials at the atomic and subatomic scale.

4. How are SU(2) and SU(3) symmetries related to the concept of symmetry breaking?

Symmetry breaking is a phenomenon where a system that exhibits symmetries at a fundamental level appears to have less symmetries at a larger scale. SU(2) and SU(3) symmetries are important in understanding symmetry breaking in the Standard Model, where they are responsible for the breaking of the electroweak and strong forces.

5. Are there any other symmetries besides SU(2) and SU(3) that are relevant to physics?

Yes, there are many other symmetries that are relevant to physics, such as U(1) and SU(5). These symmetries are used to describe different aspects of the universe, such as electromagnetism and the unification of forces at high energies. There are also larger, more complex symmetries, such as E8, that are studied in theoretical physics.