1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Submanifolds as Inverse Images

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that there exists no smooth function [itex] f : \mathbb{RP}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{R} \text{ such that } f^{-1}(q) = \mathbb{RP}^1[/itex] for some regular value q of f.

2. The attempt at a solution

So we can quite simply show that [itex] \mathbb{RP}^1 [/itex] is a submanifold of [itex] \mathbb{RP}^2 [/itex], which is what the first part of the question actually asked but I have omitted here since I don't think it's important. I've tried looking at a few things, but I have one method that really seems to scream out at me but I'm not sure how to use it.

Theorem: Let [itex] f : M\rightarrow N [/itex] be a smooth manp and [itex] P \subseteq N [/itex] be a submanifold of N. If [itex] f \pitchfork P [/itex], then [itex] f^{-1}(P)[/itex] is a submanifold of M, provided that [itex] f^{-1}(P)\neq \emptyset [/itex].
    Here [itex] f\pitchfork P[/itex] means f is transverse to P. I want to use contradiction, but this theorem seems to have the implication in the wrong direction in order for me to fully utilize it. Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?