Proving Subspace in R^3 with Fixed Matrix A: W={x \in R^{3} :Ax=[^{1}_{2}]}

• Thread starter eyehategod
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary, the problem asks to prove whether the set W, consisting of vectors x in R^3 such that Ax = [1;2], is a subspace. The condition after ":" states that x must satisfy a certain equation. To prove this, one can use a theorem on how to show a set is a subspace.
eyehategod
Let A be a fixed 2x3 matrix. Prove that the set
[itex]W={x \in R^{3} :Ax=[^{1}_{2}]} [/itex] (2x1 matrix 1 on top 2 at the bottom)

what does the information after the ":" mean? is it a condition?
I don't understand this problem. Can anyone help me out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
eyehategod said:
what does the information after the ":" mean? is it a condition?
I don't understand this problem. Can anyone help me out?

Yes, it is a condition. You're trying to prove if this set of vectors x such that the condition after ":" holds is a subspace of R^3, I guess? You didn't completely lay out the problem, btw.

Ok, this is how set notation works.

If I say...

A = { x : x e N }

Then that read... x is an element of A if x is an element N (the natural numbers). Hence, A = N, right? Do you agree?

Let's think of something a little harder...

A = { (x,y) : x + y = 1, and x,y e Z }

Z is all the integers including 0. So, what's in A? Well, all (x,y) are elements of A if x+y=1 and x,y element of Z. An example is (0,1) because 0+1 = 1 and 0 e Z and 1 e Z.

Anyways, now go back and re-read that question and state it correctly. And look for the Theorem on how to show a set is a subspace.

1. What is subspace in R^3?

Subspace in R^3 refers to a subset of three-dimensional space that satisfies certain mathematical properties. It is characterized by the fact that it contains the origin and is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How is a subspace defined in R^3?

A subspace in R^3 is defined by a set of three linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. This means that any point within the subspace can be reached by taking linear combinations of these three vectors.

3. What are the dimensions of a subspace in R^3?

The dimensions of a subspace in R^3 can vary depending on the number of linearly independent vectors used to define it. However, the maximum possible dimension for a subspace in R^3 is 3, as this is the dimension of the original space.

4. How is a subspace represented graphically in R^3?

In R^3, a subspace can be represented graphically as a plane or a line passing through the origin. This is because a subspace in R^3 is always a two-dimensional or one-dimensional space, respectively.

5. What is the significance of subspace in R^3 in real-world applications?

Subspaces in R^3 are widely used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, computer graphics, and data analysis. They provide a useful framework for understanding and solving problems involving three-dimensional space, and their properties can be applied to model real-world phenomena.