1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subspace theorem problem (matrix)

1. Jan 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose A is a fixed matrix in M. Apply the subspace theorem to show that

S = {x [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ : Ax = 0}

3. The attempt at a solution

Zero vector for x = <0,0,0>

A*<0,0,0> = 0

Therefore zero vector is in ℝ and S is non-empty.

Addition:

For u & v [itex]\in[/itex] S

u + v = 0 + 0 = 0

A*(u+v) = 0 => A(0) = 0

S is closed under addition

Multiplication:

λ [itex]\in[/itex] R

λ*A*u = λ*0 = 0

Therefore closed under multiplication and by subspace theorem, if a subspace of S.

Is this correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I can't tell what space x is in. It just shows up as a box in my browser. Is it R3?

Also, what is it you're supposed to show. All you have above is a definition for S. Are you supposed to show that S is a subspace of R3 (or whatever the space is)?
    No, you're not given any information that allows you to conclude that u and v are zero vectors or that they add to 0.
    No, for the reason given above. You need to use the properties of matrix multiplication.
    No, because you can't say that u is necessarily equal to 0.

4. Jan 18, 2012 #3

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume that instead of ℝ you mean Rn (Mark: it shows up in my browser as a blackboard [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]).

It looks almost correct to me, except for this line:
    u + v = 0 + 0 = 0
    You are taking u and v arbitrarily in S then they are not necessarily equal to zero. You may want to use the linearity of matrix multiplication here.

Actually he used that Au = 0 there, so that is correct.

5. Jan 18, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The OP is using vectors in R3, though.
    Right. I mistakenly thought the OP replaced u with 0, but it was Au being replaced. I didn't catch that.

6. Jan 18, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean "show that S is a subspace of"- I guess R3 although you said ℝ.

Yes, that is correct.

No. What you have written here is that u= v= 0 and that is not necessarily true.
    However, what you may have meant to write may have been

Not quite. You need A(u+ v)= Au+ Av= 0+ 0= 0.

Again, not quite. You want [itex]A(\lambda u)= \lambda A(u)= \lambda(0)= 0[/itex]

7. Jan 19, 2012 #6
    That should have been an R^n yes! I mistakenly left that out, sorry about the confusion!

8. Jan 19, 2012 #7
    Thanks HallsofIvy, I guess I need to expand and be more explicit in each step of the way. I just assumed I didn't have to show that commutative, or was it associative law of multiplication. But I understand what you mean!

9. Jan 19, 2012 #8
    I'm not too sure what's wrong with the addition aspect.

Given that I want to essentially prove that the matrix A multiplied by an addition of vectors would equal zero A*(u + v) = 0

So would it suffice to say that the above statement is true, and u + v = 0 but that neither u or v has to equal 0?

10. Jan 19, 2012 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

But it isn't true that u+ v= 0. What is true is that Au= 0 and Av= 0. That's completely different.

11. Jan 19, 2012 #10

Deveno

Science Advisor

for emphasis, u in S does NOT mean u is 0. it just means that Au = 0.

of course, the 0-vector 0 is ONE of the vectors in S, but an arbitrary vector in S need not be the 0-vector (it's hard to say for sure without knowing more about the matrix (or linear map) A).

what you need to show, is that:

if u,v is in S, so Au = 0 and Av = 0,

then A(u+v) = 0.

next, you need to show that if c is in R, and u is in S, that cu is also in S

(which entails showing that A(cu) = 0).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook