Transformation of Dirac spinors

In summary, the discussion is about the Dirac equation and its relation to infinitesimal Lorentz transformations. The equations 1.5.49 and 1.5.51 are being discussed, and the process of going from one to the other is being explained. The summary also includes the use of equations 1.3.16 and 1.5.50, as well as the metric tensor g. The final result of the process is shown to be equation 1.5.51, with the exception of a sign difference.
Gene Naden
So I am working through Lessons in Particle Physics by Luis Anchordoqui and Francis Halzen, the link is https://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0906/0906.1271v2.pdf

I am in the discussion of the Dirac equation, on page 21, trying to go from equation 1.5.49 to 1.5.51. And I get stuck.

Equation 1.5.49 is ##S^{-1}(\Lambda)\gamma^{\mu}S(\Lambda)\Lambda_{\mu}{^\nu}=\gamma^{\nu}##
where Lambda is an infinitesimal Lorentz transformation and S is the corresponding transformation of the wave function, also infinitesimal, given by ##S=1-\frac{i}{2}\omega_{\mu \nu}\Sigma^{\mu \nu}##.

I am not sure I understand ##\omega## . I think it is the parameters of the transformation and that the equation is supposed to be true for all ##\omega##.

Equation 1.5.51 is ##[\Sigma^{\mu\nu},\gamma^\rho]=-i(g^{\mu\rho} \gamma^\nu-g^{\nu\beta}\gamma^\mu)##. This is the one I am having trouble reproducing.

I see the metric tensor g appears in the result. Perhaps this is from the relation ##\gamma^\mu\gamma^\nu+\gamma^\nu \gamma^\mu=2g^{\mu\nu}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Gene Naden said:
trying to go from equation 1.5.49 to 1.5.51.

Multiply both sides of (1.5.49) by ##S\left(\Lambda\right)## on the left. Use (1.3.16) to get the infinitesimal version of ##\Lambda_{\mu}{}^\nu##. Since each ##\omega## is infinitesimal, take the product of any two terms that each involve an ##\omega## to be zero. Keep free and summed indices straight. I also used ##2\omega_{\alpha \beta} = \omega_{\alpha \beta} + \omega_{\alpha \beta} = \omega_{\alpha \beta} - \omega_{\beta \alpha}##.

How far can you get?

Your suggestions got me a lot closer! I got it except for a minus sign on the overall result.
(1.3.16) ##\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu} = \delta^{\mu}_{\nu} + \omega^{\mu}_{\nu}##
(1.5.49) ##S^{-1}\gamma^\mu S \Lambda^{\nu}_{\mu} = \gamma^\nu##
(1.5.50) ##S=1-\frac{i}{2} \omega_{\mu\nu}\Sigma^{\mu\nu}##
##\gamma^\sigma \omega^\nu_\sigma - \frac{i}{2} \gamma^\sigma \omega_{\alpha\beta} \Sigma^{\alpha\beta} \delta^\nu_\sigma = - \frac{i}{2}\omega_{\alpha\beta} \Sigma^{\alpha\beta} \gamma^\nu##
##\gamma^\sigma \omega^\nu_\sigma - \frac{i}{2} \gamma^\nu \omega_{\alpha\beta} \Sigma^{\alpha\beta} = - \frac{i}{2}\omega_{\alpha\beta} \Sigma^{\alpha\beta} \gamma^\nu##
##\gamma^\sigma \omega^\nu_\sigma = \frac{i}{2} \gamma^\nu \omega_{\alpha\beta} \Sigma^{\alpha\beta} - \frac{i}{2}\omega_{\alpha\beta} \Sigma^{\alpha\beta} \gamma^\nu##
##= \frac{i}{2} (\gamma^\nu \omega_{\alpha\beta} \Sigma^{\alpha\beta} - \omega_{\alpha\beta} \Sigma^{\alpha\beta}) \gamma^\nu##
##= \frac{i}{2} \omega_{\alpha\beta}(\gamma^\nu \Sigma^{\alpha\beta} - \Sigma^{\alpha\beta} \gamma^\nu)##
##\gamma^\sigma \omega^\nu_\sigma= \frac{i}{2} \omega_{\alpha\beta}[\gamma^\nu, \Sigma^{\alpha\beta}]##
But ## \omega^\nu_\sigma= g ^{\rho\nu} \omega_{\rho\sigma}##
So ##\gamma^\sigma g ^{\rho\nu} \omega_{\rho\sigma}=\frac{i}{2} \omega_{\alpha\beta}[\gamma^\nu, \Sigma^{\alpha\beta}]##
##2\omega_{\alpha \beta} = \omega_{\alpha \beta} - \omega_{\beta \alpha}##
##\gamma^\sigma g ^{\rho\nu} \frac{1}{2}(\omega_{\rho\sigma}-\omega_{\sigma\rho})=\frac{i}{2} \omega_{\alpha\beta}[\gamma^\nu, \Sigma^{\alpha\beta}]##
##-i\gamma^\sigma g ^{\rho\nu} (\omega_{\rho\sigma}-\omega_{\sigma\rho})= \omega_{\alpha\beta}[\gamma^\nu, \Sigma^{\alpha\beta}]##
##-i (g ^{\rho\nu}\gamma^\sigma\omega_{\rho\sigma}-g ^{\rho\nu}\gamma^\sigma\omega_{\sigma\rho})= \omega_{\alpha\beta}[\gamma^\nu, \Sigma^{\alpha\beta}]##
##-i (g ^{\rho\nu}\gamma^\sigma\omega_{\rho\sigma}-g ^{\sigma\nu}\gamma^\rho\omega_{\rho\sigma})= \omega_{\alpha\beta}[\gamma^\nu, \Sigma^{\alpha\beta}]##
##-i (g ^{\rho\nu}\gamma^\sigma-g ^{\sigma\nu}\gamma^\rho)\omega_{\rho\sigma}= \omega_{\alpha\beta}[\gamma^\nu, \Sigma^{\alpha\beta}]##
##-i (g ^{\alpha\nu}\gamma^\beta-g ^{\beta\nu}\gamma^\alpha)\omega_{\alpha\beta}= \omega_{\alpha\beta}[\gamma^\nu, \Sigma^{\alpha\beta}]##
##-i (g ^{\alpha\nu}\gamma^\beta-g ^{\beta\nu}\gamma^\alpha)= [\gamma^\nu, \Sigma^{\alpha\beta}]##
##[\Sigma^{\alpha\beta},\gamma^\nu]=-i(g ^{\beta\nu}\gamma^\alpha - g ^{\alpha\nu}\gamma^\beta)##
##[\Sigma^{\mu\nu},\gamma^\beta]=-i(g ^{\nu\beta}\gamma^\mu - g ^{\mu\beta}\gamma^\nu)##
This is equation (1.5.51) except for the sign.

So I redid the math... it is a bit simpler and the sign matches the reference.

What is the Transformation of Dirac spinors?

The transformation of Dirac spinors is a mathematical concept used in quantum physics to describe the behavior of fermions, such as electrons. It involves the rotation of a spinor, which is a mathematical representation of a particle's spin, when the particle's coordinates are transformed.

Why is the Transformation of Dirac spinors important?

The Transformation of Dirac spinors is important because it helps us understand the behavior of fermions in different physical situations. It allows us to make predictions about how particles will behave when their coordinates are changed, which is crucial in fields such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.

What is the mathematical formula for the Transformation of Dirac spinors?

The mathematical formula for the Transformation of Dirac spinors is known as the Dirac equation. It is a relativistic wave equation that describes the evolution of a quantum system over time. It involves the use of matrices and complex numbers to represent the spinor and its transformation.

How does the Transformation of Dirac spinors relate to the concept of spin?

The Transformation of Dirac spinors is closely related to the concept of spin. Spin is a quantum property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. The transformation of the spinor represents the rotation of this angular momentum when the particle's coordinates are changed.

What are some real-world applications of the Transformation of Dirac spinors?

The Transformation of Dirac spinors has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of quantum computing and particle physics. It is used to understand the behavior of subatomic particles and to make predictions about their interactions. It is also used in the development of quantum technologies, such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography.