Suggestions for a Power System Analysis book?

In summary, the person wants a book on power system analysis that they can refer to from time to time. They have taken a course in power system analysis and they want a good book that they can understand better and learn from. They were looking at a book by J. Duncan Glover, Thomas Overbye, and Mulukutla S. Sarma. The book is about $130 USD and seems to cover a lot of what they have learned in their power system course.
OliskaP
Hi,

I want a book about power system analysis that I can have laying around and read from time to time. I have taken a course in power system analysis some time ago, where I was taught simple fault analysis including unbalanced faults, frequency and voltage control.

So to maintain this knowledge, perhaps understand it better and learn more, I want a good book that I can refer to. I was looking at this book Power System Analysis and Design by J. Duncan Glover, Thomas Overbye, Mulukutla S. Sarma (https://www.amazon.com/dp/1305632133/?tag=pfamazon01-20)

It seems to cover a lot of what I've learned in my power system course. If you have any better suggestions please let me know.Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I never took that course, and regret not having done so.

This author was teaching AC circuit analysis and electric machinery as a grad student when i went through school, late 1960's.
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471862061.html

He was hands down the best explainer of things electrical that i encountered. He got me interested in machinery and three phase. .Ask around, see if anybody else has an opinion of the book.

Likes OliskaP
Yikes! Did you see the price on that? Try an ISBN search in a book search engine. I've found this one to be useful:
www.gettextbooks.com/isbn/9780471862062/

I've gotten some good help from
Electric Energy Systems Theory: An Introduction
by O.I. Elgerd, McGraw-Hill, 1971
In the front, he quotes his motto: Think MKS. In that comment, he is dead on. Electromagnetic calcs in US Customary units are an absolute nightmare!

Likes OliskaP
Hi,
In our final year we used Power System Analysis by Haadi Saadat. I hope it will perfectly suit your needs. The books provide solved examples and codes for MATLAB as well.

Likes OliskaP
Thanks all.
I ordered used copies of the books suggested by jim hardy and Dr.D. I don't expect good conditions, but they were so cheap so I'll wait and see. If I like them I can buy them in better condition later.

The book suggested by Electrical also seems like a good choice, I will take a look at that and see what I do when I receive the two books I just ordered.

Likes jim hardy

1. What is the purpose of a Power System Analysis book?

A Power System Analysis book is designed to provide readers with a comprehensive understanding of electrical power systems, including their components, operation, and design. It aims to equip readers with the knowledge and skills needed for performing power system analysis and solving various power system problems.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Power System Analysis book?

A Power System Analysis book usually covers topics such as power system fundamentals, transmission and distribution systems, power flow analysis, fault analysis, stability analysis, and protection systems. It may also include chapters on renewable energy integration, smart grid technologies, and emerging trends in power systems.

3. Are there any prerequisites for reading a Power System Analysis book?

Yes, most Power System Analysis books assume that readers have a basic understanding of electrical circuit theory, mathematics, and physics. Some books may also require a foundational knowledge of power systems or previous coursework in the field.

4. How can a Power System Analysis book be used in a classroom setting?

A Power System Analysis book can be used as a textbook for undergraduate or graduate courses in electrical engineering, power systems, or related fields. It can also serve as a reference for researchers, professionals, and practitioners working in the power industry.

5. Are there any recommended Power System Analysis books for beginners?

Yes, there are several highly recommended Power System Analysis books for beginners, such as "Power System Analysis" by John J. Grainger and William D. Stevenson Jr., "Power Systems Analysis" by Hadi Saadat, and "Power System Analysis and Design" by J. Duncan Glover, Mulukutla S. Sarma, and Thomas J. Overbye. It is best to consult with a professor or experienced engineer for specific recommendations based on your needs and level of understanding.