Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sum of all triangle angles

1. May 22, 2005 #1
    THE SUM OF ALL ANGLES IN TRIANGLE IS 180 DEGREE
    THE SUM OF ALL ANGLES IN TRIANGLE IS 181 DEGREE
    ONE OF THE STATEMENT IS FALSE
    PLEASE IGNORE SPELLING AND GRAMMATICAL ERROR(S)

Which statement is false?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

None of them:the first is valid in a plane,the second is valid on a curved surface of very small positive gaussian curvature.

Daniel.

4. May 22, 2005 #3
    nope, there are one wrong statement
    btw, your answer is part of the trick

5. May 22, 2005 #4
    The answer is PLEASE IGNORE SPELLING AND GRAMMATICAL ERROR(S) because I didn't ignore spelling and grammatical error(s).

6. May 22, 2005 #5

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Isn't that more of a request than a statement?
    If what Dex says about statements 1 & 2 is true, I'd say:
    If statement 3 refers to 1 & 2, then that would be the incorrect statement

Last edited: May 22, 2005
  7. May 22, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think there's a trick here:the correct answer should be:"ONE OF THE STATEMENT IS FALSE",because the first 2 are true,while the last is true,because we ignored all spelling errors to understand what the OP wanted to say".

It doesn't make too much sense,though.

Daniel.

8. May 22, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Does "ONE OF THE STATEMENT IS FALSE" mean one of the above statements is false? If so, "ONE OF THE STATEMENT IS FALSE" would be false.
    Eh, dex's post just magically appeared. Strange.

9. May 23, 2005 #8
    dextercioby got it on the second guess.
    yes, honestrosewater. i suppose to write 'above'

10. May 23, 2005 #9
    the trick is that there is 4 statements, the last one is a request, so cannot be true or false- just as what matthyaouw says. the first and the second statement is true.

11. May 23, 2005 #10
    In my opinion, a request is a statement. But my answer was meant to be tongue in cheek, don't overanalyze it.

12. May 23, 2005 #11
    In the formal logical sense, a request is not a statement.

13. May 23, 2005 #12

honestrosewater

Gold Member

It needs to NOT refer to itself. If it includes itself as "one of the statements", it says: the first statements is false OR the second statement is false OR this statement is false. Surely that looks familiar?? The first and second statements are not false, so the truth of the third statement depends on the truth of the third statement. :wink:

14. May 24, 2005 #13
    Can you provide a citation for this?

15. May 24, 2005 #14
    Well, my source was my discrete math course, which used the book Discrete and Combinatorial Mathematics by Ralph P. Grimaldi. It must be possible to determine whether a statement is true or false, except in the case of open statements, which may have variables, and upon substitution of the variables open statements can also be determined true or false. A request has no truth value, so it's not a statement. Commands, interjections, questions, and phrases are also not statements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?