Find Sum of Power Series: Hint and Tips

In summary, to find the sum of the power series \sum_{n=1}^\infty nx^{n+1}, you can factor out x^2 and then integrate the resulting series \sum_{n=1}^\infty nx^{n-1}. This may seem unfamiliar at first, but with more practice, it can become a useful strategy.
PCSL
I have to find the sum of the power series: [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty nx^{n+1}[/tex]

I know the I'm supposed to show work but I don't have any idea where to start. I'm not asking for you to do the problem for me, just a hint.

The only idea I had was to take the derivative to get rid of the n+1 in the exponent but I'm not sure if [tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty n(n+1)x^{n}[/tex] is any easier to solve.

Also I tried looking at the integral but again didn't see what to do
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{nx^{n+2}}{n+2}[/tex]

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try factoring out [itex]x^2[/itex] and see if the resulting series reminds you of something familiar.

awkward said:
Try factoring out [itex]x^2[/itex] and see if the resulting series reminds you of something familiar.

So then I would have:

[tex]x^2\sum_{n=1}^\infty nx^{n-1}[/tex]

That doesn't look familiar.. should it?

PCSL said:
So then I would have:

[tex]x^2\sum_{n=1}^\infty nx^{n-1}[/tex]

That doesn't look familiar.. should it?

Integrate [itex]\displaystyle nx^{n-1}[/itex]

SammyS said:
Integrate [itex]\displaystyle nx^{n-1}[/itex]

I guess I just need more practice with these. Thank you, I don't think I would have thought of that any time soon ;).

FAQ: Find Sum of Power Series: Hint and Tips

What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of powers of a variable. It is typically written in the form of ∑(anxn) where an represents the coefficients and x is the variable.

How do I find the sum of a power series?

To find the sum of a power series, you can use a variety of methods such as the ratio test, the root test, or Taylor series expansion. It is important to note that the sum of a power series is only valid within a certain interval of convergence.

What is the hint and tips for finding the sum of a power series?

The best hint and tips for finding the sum of a power series depend on the specific series and its properties. Some general tips include identifying the form of the series, determining the interval of convergence, and using known formulas or techniques such as geometric series or binomial series.

Can I use a calculator to find the sum of a power series?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the sum of a power series. However, it is important to note that calculators may not always provide accurate results and it is recommended to check the answer using other methods as well.

What are some common mistakes when finding the sum of a power series?

Some common mistakes when finding the sum of a power series include forgetting to determine the interval of convergence, using incorrect formulas or techniques, and not checking the answer for accuracy. It is also important to be careful with algebraic manipulations when dealing with infinite sums.