1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summing series using contour integrals

1. Dec 9, 2005 #1
    I would be grateful if someone can help me take this sum.

Evaluate the following sum

1/(n^2-4)^2, the sum goes over all positive integers n= 1,3,4,5...infty except 2.

If it weren't squared I think I can figure it out( I remember my professor telling something about mutliplying by a factor 1/(e^z-1) ). How do I set the problem up? . I 'd appreciate any help you can give.

I have split LHS into partial fractions and I am getting 4terms. It is of the form

A/(n-2)^2 + B/(n+2)^2 +C/(n-2) + D/(n+2). And I know how sum series of type 1/n^2+a^2 using resdiue calculus. Please help.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2005 #2

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Combine the C and D terms, you'll get a sum like 1/(n^2-a^2), can you handle this using residues? You can evaluate the A and B terms using the usual 1/n^2 sum (which can also be evaluated using residues).

However, you can go at 1/(n^2-4)^2 directly. What would you use to sum something like 1/(n^2+a^2) and why don't you think it will work directly on 1/(n^2-4)^2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?