Summing sinusoids of different frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of combining sinusoids of multiple frequencies into a single sinusoid. The speaker is looking for a way to mathematically represent the sum of two sinusoids without explicitly showing both sinusoids. However, it is not possible to sum two sinusoids into a single one as they are linearly independent and have different periods. The period of the sum of sinusoids with different periods would be a repeating waveform with a period equal to the least common multiple of their individual periods.
funnyguy
I'm curious if there is a way to combine sinusoids of multiple frequency into a single sinusoid?

For example, I'm looking for a way to combine:

Acos(2παt + φ) + Bcos(2πβt + χ) where A, α, φ, B, β, χ are scalar constants and α & β represent the frequency.

I'd even be interested in a less complex solution to:
cos(2παt) + cos(2πβt)
if this is much simpler than the general form above.

I found an incomplete explanation on here that does a transform and then recombines using complex numbers ending up with a cosine with an arctangent inside.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=372263

However, explanations of the process are probably better than just a discrete example alone.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cos(a+ b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b)

[itex]cos(2\pi\alpha t+\phi)= cos(2\pi\alpha t)cos(\phi)- sin(2\pi\alpha t)sin(\phi)[/itex] and
[itex]cos(2\pi\beta t+\chi)= cos(2\pi\beta t)cos(\chi)- sin(2\pi\beta t)sin(\chi)[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
cos(a+ b)= cos(a)cos(b)- sin(a)sin(b)

[itex]cos(2\pi\alpha t+\phi)= cos(2\pi\alpha t)cos(\phi)- sin(2\pi\alpha t)sin(\phi)[/itex] and
[itex]cos(2\pi\beta t+\chi)= cos(2\pi\beta t)cos(\chi)- sin(2\pi\beta t)sin(\chi)[/itex]

I don't think trig identities are going to be much help.

Acos(2παt + φ) + Bcos(2πβt + χ) = A(cos(2παt)cos(φ) - sin(2παt)sin(φ)) + B(cos(2πβt)cos(χ) - sin(2πβt)sin(χ))

Which has turned a sum of 2 sinusoids into 4 products and 3 summing operations on 8 sinusoids. This is kind of the opposite direction of where I was looking to go. I'm trying to figure out if there's a transformation I can use to get this all inside of a single sinusoid function, even if there is a trig function inside the sinusoid.

Summing sines of different frequencies can yield very NON sinusoidal shapes. Why do you expect to use a single sine function to describe non sine shaped functions?

i.e. The sum of all odd harmonics yields a square wave.

Integral said:
Summing sines of different frequencies can yield very NON sinusoidal shapes. Why do you expect to use a single sine function to describe non sine shaped functions?

i.e. The sum of all odd harmonics yields a square wave.

I don't expect to, I asked if it was possible.

I know it is possible to write any repeating function as a sum of sinusoids (Fourier?) but I was just curious if there is a process to combine a sum of 2 into 1. I'm mainly interested for representing purposes, I just wanted to see if there was a way to represent the sum mathematically without both sinusoids needing to be shown. Maybe it could be represented as a series?

Functions that are called linearly independent cannot be summed into a single one.

Sines of different frequencies are no different in this regard than trying to sum together, say, the functions Bz and Bz^2 into a SINGLE power in z.

Likes FactChecker
What about the period of the sum of sinusoids of different periods? What would that be?

LuizHP said:
What about the period of the sum of sinusoids of different periods? What would that be?
It would be a repeating waveform, of period equal to the LCM of their periods. Try some sketches and discover for yourself.

NascentOxygen said:
It would be a repeating waveform, of period equal to the LCM of their periods. Try some sketches and discover for yourself.
To give an example, if the ratio of the periods is not a rational number, the sum will not be periodic.
##f(x)=\sin(x) + sin(\pi x)## is not periodic.

Likes NascentOxygen
The short answer is no. Two different pure sine wave frequencies can not be summed to another pure sine wave frequency.

Related to Summing sinusoids of different frequency

What is the concept of "Summing sinusoids of different frequency"?

The concept of "Summing sinusoids of different frequency" refers to the process of adding together two or more sinusoidal waves with different frequencies. This can result in a new wave with a different frequency and amplitude, depending on the individual frequencies and phases of the original waves.

Why would someone want to sum sinusoids of different frequency?

Summing sinusoids of different frequency can be useful in many applications, such as signal processing and audio engineering. It allows for the creation of complex waveforms that can be used to produce specific sounds or filter out unwanted frequencies.

What happens when sinusoids of different frequency are summed together?

When sinusoids of different frequency are summed together, the resulting wave will have a different frequency and amplitude than the original waves. This is due to the constructive and destructive interference of the individual waves.

Is it possible to sum an infinite number of sinusoids of different frequency?

Technically, yes, it is possible to sum an infinite number of sinusoids of different frequency. However, in most practical applications, only a finite number of sinusoids are summed together, as it becomes increasingly difficult to accurately represent and manipulate an infinite number of waves.

How can the sum of sinusoids of different frequency be represented mathematically?

The sum of sinusoids of different frequency can be represented mathematically using the Fourier series, which is a mathematical tool that breaks down a complex wave into a series of simpler sinusoidal waves. This allows for the manipulation and analysis of waves with different frequencies and amplitudes.