Sun's North Magnetic Pole Begins to Flip, South Not Moving Yet

In summary, the sun is currently experiencing an imbalance between its north and south poles, with the north pole already in transition and the south pole lagging behind. This phenomenon has happened before and may not have any adverse impact on Earth's spaceweather. There is also potential for a quadrapolar sun and cooler temperatures on Earth, according to Japanese research. NASA and other space agencies are constantly studying the sun to learn more about its behavior.
Dotini
Gold Member
The sun has begun its 11 year magnetic polar reversal a year early, with the north jumping the gun on the south.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120421203959.htm

"Right now, there's an imbalance between the north and the south poles," says Jonathan Cirtain, a space scientist at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., who is also NASA's project scientist for a Japanese solar mission called Hinode. "The north is already in transition, well ahead of the south pole, and we don't understand why."

I've looked into this phenomenon just a bit in some earlier NASA papers, and while a bit out of the ordinary, it seems to have happened often enough before, and without any necessarily adverse impact on Earth's spaceweather.

Even so, some Japanese research indicates the potential for a quadrapolar(!) sun and cooler temperatures on Earth.
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201204200075

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wow, that's cool. Had no idea the Sun could go all Quadrapolar on us. Someone get it some medication stat.

Does this mean the Sun's magnetic field will temporarily become more twisted, possibly leading to more sunspots and solar flare activity?

Dotini said:
The sun has begun its 11 year magnetic polar reversal...
:bugeye: :redface: :bugeye: :redface: :bugeye: :redface:
In all the decades I have been reading about the sun's 11 year solar cycle, not once have I ever heard that it reversed poles each time. You'd think that would be a salient point to mention...

I guess I've been under a rock!

Here's some more interesting, inside info on our local star from those studious folks at NASA:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2003/22apr_currentsheet/

With regard to making bold predictions and confident assertions about the sun, I personally think it's wise to be modest and cautious. As Dave humorously notes, even the best-informed of us are still learning the basics.

At a minimum, we must be very grateful to NASA, the Japanese and Euro space agencies who we, the people, fund to operate the current fleet of missions to study our local star.

Respectfully,
Steve

Last edited:

1. What is the significance of the North Magnetic Pole flipping?

The Earth's magnetic field is constantly shifting, and the poles flip approximately every 200,000 to 300,000 years. This flip can have an impact on our planet's climate, as well as navigation systems and satellite technology.

2. How long does the process of flipping poles take?

The process of the North Magnetic Pole flipping can take anywhere from a few years to a few centuries. The current flip has been ongoing since the mid-1990s, and scientists predict it will be complete within the next few decades.

3. Is this flip unusual or unexpected?

The flip of the North Magnetic Pole is a natural occurrence that happens regularly throughout Earth's history. However, the precise timing and rate of the flip can vary, making it difficult to predict exactly when it will happen.

4. How does the flip of the North Magnetic Pole affect Earth's magnetic field?

During the flip, the strength of Earth's magnetic field can weaken, leading to potential disruptions in satellite and communication technology. However, the magnetic field is still strong enough to protect us from harmful solar radiation.

5. What are scientists doing to track and study this pole flip?

Scientists use a variety of instruments and techniques to track and study the pole flip, including satellite measurements, ground-based observatories, and computer simulations. This information helps us better understand the Earth's magnetic field and its effects on our planet.