Supercharges commutation rules

In summary: Sorry I couldn't be more help, I'm not familiar with this topic. I suggest asking someone with more experience in superalgebras and partition functions. Good luck!In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a commutator involving superpotential and R-symmetry generators. The goal is to show that a certain expression is independent of μαi and μ̄α̇j. The possibility of expanding the expression as a power series is mentioned, as well as the need to consider commutators of group elements. There is also a mention of the dependence of the partition function on fermionic chemical potentials for N>1. Ultimately, it is suggested to seek help from someone with more experience in the topic.
L0r3n20
Hi all I'm new on this forum. I'm here since I'm working with n-extended susy and R-sym and I don't know how to calculate a commutator. First of all I introsuce my notation:

[tex] \mu_A T^A [/tex] is a potential cupled to R-sym generator

[tex] \mu_{\alpha i} [/tex] is a superpotential cupled to supercharges

[tex] (-1)^F = e^{2 \pi i J_z} [/tex] counts number of fermions

[tex] \{ Q_{\alpha}^i ; \bar{Q}_{\dot{\alpha}j} \} = 2 \sigma_{ \alpha \dot{\aplha}}^\mu P_\mu \delta^i_j [/tex]

(I hope you see it right since on my pc I don't see curly bracket of anticommutator and just one alpha dot under sigma, but this is just the super algebra)
and spinorial indices are raised and lowered with

[tex] \varepsilon^{12}=\varepsilon_{21}=\varepsilon^{\dot{1}\dot{2}}=\varepsilon_{\dot{2}\dot{1}}=1 [/tex]

Now what I have to compute is

[tex] \left[(-1)^F ; e^{\mu_A T^A + \mu^{\alpha i} Q_{\alpha}^i + \bar{\mu}_{\dot{\alpha}j} \bar{Q}^{\dot{\alpha}j} } \right] [/tex]

How can I do? Thanks for advices!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello L0r3n20. I need this practice so I will try to help. But can you tell me why this commutator? Also, can you provide more information on the potential and superpotential?

Hi! I'm trying to calculate partition function of super-hydrodynamycs so I need to know wheter it depends on superpotential cupled to supercharges. I do know this is true in the case N=1 (See Kovtun and Yaffe http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/0303/0303010v1.pdf) but I don't know if it is in general N.
Superpotential cupled to supercharges are fermionic objects used to make superalgebras work with usual commutator. The potential cupled to R-symmetry generator is bosonic since it does commute with everything. Last, but not least, I'm assuming no central charges. I hope I've been clear. Tell me if you need further information.

It sounds like it's connected to "elliptic flow" and other exciting topics!

You will probably solve your problem by yourself before I can solve it. I never did a super-calculation in my life before, that's why I have to attempt it; but I will need to think it through from fundamentals, and who knows how long that will take.

I do have another question, though. The mathematical expression you are computing does not look algebraically mysterious - it's just a commutator of two exponentiated operators. Naively, if you expand those as power series, you can reexpress your commutator as an infinite sum of commutators of terms from those series. There might be technicalities to do with operator ordering and spinor indices. My question is: Are you just wanting to check that you get the algebra technically right, or are there also larger conceptual issues to discuss?

My question is just about algebra involved in calculus. I think I can reexpress it in a power series using BCH forumula but I just don't know how does J_z commute with supercharges. I know how does [tex] e^{2 \pi i J_z} [/tex] act. Do you think it's possible to expand in a series and get the rule to commute J_z and Qs?

L0r3n20 said:
My question is just about algebra involved in calculus. I think I can reexpress it in a power series using BCH forumula but I just don't know how does J_z commute with supercharges. I know how does [tex] e^{2 \pi i J_z} [/tex] act. Do you think it's possible to expand in a series and get the rule to commute J_z and Qs?
See, http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~gbruhn/IntroSUSY.html for the commutation rules. What surprises me is that you have to calculate the commutator between group elements, usually that doesn't make any sense. Or do you mean the group commutator: [A,B] = ABA^{-1}B^{-1} ?

Careful

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the delay, I wasn't at home.

I think I didn't get your argument, I'll try to show you my entire problem.
What I'd like to show is that

[tex] Tr\left[(-1)^F e^{\mu_A T^A + \mu^{\alpha i} Q_{\alpha}^i + \bar{\mu}_{\dot{\alpha}j} \bar{Q}^{\dot{\alpha}j} } \right]
[/tex]

is [tex] \mu^\alpha_i [/tex] indipendent (same for barred). I know this is true if N=1 (see article cited before) I'm just trying to generalize.
I thought to derivate and then using cyclicity of the trace and (anti)commuting rules but I'm in a dead end... Any ideas?

On page 20, after the proof for N=1, Kovtun and Yaffe say "if a non-zero chemical potential μR for the R-charge is present, then the generalized partition function does acquire dependence on the fermionic chemical potentials". So maybe it's just not true for N>1.

1. What are "Supercharges commutation rules"?

"Supercharges commutation rules" refer to a mathematical concept in quantum mechanics that describes the commutation relations between different operators, specifically those related to supersymmetry.

2. How are supercharges calculated?

Supercharges are calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the properties of the operators and their corresponding commutation relations. These equations are derived from the fundamental principles of supersymmetry in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of supercharges in quantum mechanics?

Supercharges play a crucial role in the formulation of supersymmetric quantum field theories, which are important in the study of particle physics and the unification of fundamental forces. They also have applications in other fields such as condensed matter physics and string theory.

4. Can supercharges be observed experimentally?

No, supercharges cannot be observed directly as they are purely mathematical constructs. However, their effects can be observed through the predictions they make about the behavior of particles and systems in supersymmetric theories.

5. Are supercharges related to other concepts in quantum mechanics?

Yes, supercharges are related to other concepts such as symmetries, conserved quantities, and supersymmetry transformations. They are also closely linked to other mathematical structures such as Lie algebras and representation theory.