Superposing Energy Eigenstates.

In summary, the conversation discusses how two equations, |I> and |II>, can be combined to obtain a third equation, |1>. This is done by adding the first two equations together and then renormalizing to find the new coefficients. This process is similar to solving systems of equations in high school algebra.
cragar

Homework Statement

Im trying to understand what happened in this book
they have
[itex] |I>=\frac{|1>}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{|2>}{\sqrt{2}} [/itex]
and then [itex] |II>=\frac{|1>}{\sqrt{2}}-\frac{|2>}{\sqrt{2}} [/itex]
and then they say they superimpose these equations to get

[itex] |1>=\frac{|I>}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{|II>}{\sqrt{2}} [/itex]

did they just add the first equations together and then renormalize
it to find the new coefficients.

Physics news on Phys.org
They just added them together

|I> + |II> = 2/sqrt(2) |1> = sqrt(2) |1>

So dividing by sqrt(2) gives what you have posted.

Yes, they're just showing how to express either basis in terms of the other. Think of it just like back in high school algebra when you were solving systems of equations, and had to add multiple equations together to eliminate variables.

1. What are energy eigenstates?

Energy eigenstates are the possible energy states of a quantum system. They are the solutions to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles.

2. What is superposition in quantum mechanics?

Superposition is the principle that states that a quantum particle can exist in multiple states at the same time. This is possible because of the wave-like nature of quantum particles.

3. How does superposition relate to energy eigenstates?

Superposition of energy eigenstates means that a quantum particle can exist in a state that is a combination of multiple energy eigenstates. This allows for a wider range of possible energy values for the particle.

4. Why is superposition important in quantum mechanics?

Superposition is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum particles. It allows for a more accurate description of the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

5. Can superposition of energy eigenstates be observed in real life?

Yes, superposition of energy eigenstates has been observed in various experiments, such as the double-slit experiment and the quantum eraser experiment. These experiments demonstrate the wave-like nature of quantum particles and their ability to exist in multiple states simultaneously.