1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Superpositon and Standing Waves problem

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A child has an ear canal that is 1.3 cm long. At what sound frequencies in the audible range will the child have increased hearing sensitivity?

2. Relevant equations
    for open-closed tube, f= m(v/4L)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I need two frequencies since the question is asking for a rage in which the child has increased hearing sensitivity. So I thought for an open-closed tube, I could use f= m(v/4L) where m=1 and 3. But my answer does not work. How do I know what nodes (m) to choose? Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    I have previously found 6600 and 2.0*10^4 using m=1 and 3, and this range didn't work.
    Could anyone help?

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3
    The question is asking for specific frequecies in the audible range; not a range of frequencies.
    The method is correct. 6600Hz is in the audible range (quarter wavelength). The next resonance should be at 3 times that value. (3/4 wavelength)
    Audible range goes up to 20000Hz typically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook