Where can I find a proof of the supremum norm as a norm?

In summary, the supremum norm, also known as the uniform, Chebychev or infinity norm, can be proved by starting with the general definition of a norm and showing that it satisfies certain conditions. The proof of the triangle inequality is a consequence of the "standard" triangle inequality and the property of the supremum. This can be shown by using the property of the supremum that sup{f(x) + g(x), x in S} <= sup{f(x), x in S} + sup{g(x), x in S} for any functions f, g. This leads to the conclusion that sup(f+ g)\le sup(f)+ sup(g), making the proof quite simple.
e^ipi=-1
Could anyone tell me where to find a proof of the fact that the supremumnorm is a norm?

The supremum norm is also known as the uniform, Chebychev or the infinity norm.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could start with writing down the general definition of a norm and what it must satisfy.

I already proved three of the conditions but I am stuck on the triangle equality. Also I wanted to see how other people did it.

The proof of the triangle inequality is a consequence of the "standard" triangle inequality.

Edit: and of the property of the supremum, that sup{f(x) + g(x), x in S} <= sup{f(x), x in S} + sup{g(x), x in S}, for any functions f, g.

The property of the supremum is exactly where I got stuck. I had the feeling that the property holds, but I could't figure out why. Could you tell me?

Do you mean "[itex]sup(f+ g)\le sup(f)+ sup(g)[/itex]"? That's pretty close to trivial.

Let x be any value. Then [itex]f(x)\le sup(f)[/itex] and [itex]g(x)\le sup(g)[/itex]. Together, [itex]f(x)+ g(x)\le sup(f)+ sup(g)[/itex]. That is, sup(f)+ sup(g) is an upper bound on f(x)+ g(x) and since sup(f+ g) is the least upper bound, [itex]sup(f+ g)\le sup(f)+ sup(g)[/itex].

Thanks a lot. Pretty stupid I didn't think of that.

What is the Supremum norm?

The Supremum norm, also known as the maximum norm, is a mathematical concept used to measure the size or magnitude of a function. It is denoted as ||f|| and is defined as the maximum absolute value of the function over its domain.

How is the Supremum norm calculated?

To calculate the Supremum norm of a function, we need to find the maximum absolute value of the function over its entire domain. This can be done by taking the absolute value of each point in the domain and then finding the largest value among them.

What is the significance of the Supremum norm?

The Supremum norm is an important concept in functional analysis and is used to define the convergence of a sequence of functions. It also helps in measuring the error between two functions and is widely used in approximation theory.

How is the Supremum norm different from other norms?

The Supremum norm is different from other norms, such as the Euclidean norm or the p-norm, as it measures the maximum value of a function rather than the average or total magnitude. This makes it a useful tool for studying functions with extreme values.

Can the Supremum norm be used for any type of function?

Yes, the Supremum norm can be used for any type of function, including continuous, discontinuous, and even unbounded functions. However, it is most commonly used for functions defined on a bounded domain.