Surface Area of a Solid of Revolution

• Thread starter Ki-nana18
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Find the area of the surface generated when you rotate the parabola y=x2 0 less than or equal to x less than or equal to the square root of k, around the y-axis. You should end up with a simple formula in terms of the constant k.

Homework Equations

S=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]yds

The Attempt at a Solution

I suspect that the simple formula is the volume of a sphere. I got all the way to applying the fundamental theorem of calculus and so far I have 2pi[((12(square root of k)+3)/(18))^(3/2)-(1/12)]

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the area of the surface generated when you rotate the parabola y=x2 0 less than or equal to x less than or equal to the square root of k, around the y-axis. You should end up with a simple formula in terms of the constant k.

Homework Equations

S=2[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]yds

The Attempt at a Solution

I suspect that the simple formula is the volume of a sphere. I got all the way to applying the fundamental theorem of calculus and so far I have 2pi[((12(square root of k)+3)/(18))^(3/2)-(1/12)]

Your setup is incorrect because the radius of rotation should be x, not y. But I'm curious why you would think the answer for surface area would give a volume? And of a sphere?

Well I figured since I am rotating around the y-axis I would have the equation set up as x=[tex]\sqrt{}y[/tex].

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Your setup is incorrect because the radius of rotation should be x, not y. But I'm curious why you would think the answer for surface area would give a volume? And of a sphere?

Well I figured since I am rotating around the y-axis I would have the equation set up as x=[tex]\sqrt{}y[/tex].

When you rotate about the y axis the radius is in the x direction, your equation is given in terms of x, and the natural variable to use is x.