1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pappus' Theorem (surface area)

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use Pappus' Theorem for surface area and the fact that the surface area of a sphere of radius c is 4(pi)c^2 to find the centroid of the semicircle x= sqrt ( c^2 - y^2)

2. Relevant equations
    S = 2 (pi) * p * L

where s=surface area; p=distance from axis of revolution; L= length of the arc

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. centroid of semicircle. should i put the equation in circle form, and attempt to solve from that?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you don't. You need to think about what that equation means and how it's related to what you want to find. It's almost all you need to know.

4. Feb 9, 2013 #3
    i'm still lost.

5. Feb 9, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Explain to me what the variables in that equation mean. Yes, S=surface area. But surface area of WHAT? Look it up if you don't have a good reference handy.

6. Feb 11, 2013 #5
    S = 2 (pi) * p * L

where s=surface area; p=distance from axis of revolution; L= length of the arc

7. Feb 11, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook